1/8" Aluminum Custom Sheet Metal Profile Coped Corner test

I my shop I have a few different brakes.

A Roper Whitney 1016

a tennsmith HBU48-16

These are the brakes I used to form the 1/8 aluminum boat doors.

I also have a couple Pexto bar folders.

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0355/0606/1371/products/IMG_0404_1024x1024.jpg?v=1613076246
(internet picture )

I have a little scottman 314 with a small brake

(another internet pic)

and at my partner in business’s shop we have exactly that a 20ton brake with a swag kit.

possible but hard. we missed out on a 6’ 60ton CNC press brake recently, still kicking myself.

Why did I want to sleep on that deal…

I’ll typical do I test bends to calculate my K factor before finalizing my design.

You are right !.
I did in this case. On my Whitney 1016 1/8 aluminum will have a K factor of .44 from my tests which happens to be a default in fusion 360.

@autotech

We have been looking at this brake semi seriously. 33 ton 5’ under 20K

I wish it came in a 60ton though .

Yeah, that’s been my problem too. I can lift about 50lbs, maybe, but need…
What? Oh, you said ‘ton’… as I back away from the keyboard… :grimacing:

:beers:

1 Like

Wow!

That is craftmanship !!! Respect !!

1 Like

Tin you are a great craftsman. I appreciate all the help you give through this forum and are not afraid to give up some trade secrets along the way. Keep showing the Fusion 360 naysayers what can be done. :wink:

1 Like

Hey Tin, I was wondering what psi you were using when you got these cuts? Also is the closeup you show how much dross you had or did you have more?

@yamanmeep Welcome to the forum.

I feed the Hypertherm PowerMAX 85 with 120-135psi. The machine is set to automatic air flow setting so it drops the air flow down to drop to match the cut charts 78-85psi ish.

See the upper right box that show the volume of air used 310 scfh so dividing by 60 minutes we 5.16 SCFM

I’ll see if I can find some pictures of the back side before clean up but I remember it endded up quite clean with a little bit of clean up with the Aluminum flap disc.

Here are some pictures of some quarter 1/4" aluminum I cut using the book settings last weekend and there was almost zero dross.

What projects are you looking to do ?

3 Likes

This topic is yet another reason that I am not a fan of having expiration dates for a topic. This has a lot of good information.

1 Like

@TinWhisperer welcome to the forum… :wink: :clap: :rofl:

Wow! that cut looks great!!

I may be a little behind here… but when did you get your XR?

2 Likes

Good catch Erik! (Whisper…whispered voice, not TinWhisper) “I wonder if he will remember us ‘little tables’? :worried:

4 Likes

Welcome home TinMan :house_with_garden:

3 Likes

Hello👋

We had couple larger projects last year that we could have used a bigger table for so it was time to make a few more feet of floor space in the shop and get a bigger table.

Well I’ve been watching and it looks like everything’s been running smooth in my absence. :joy: Good job guys.

5 Likes

Wellllll…a little less patience being exhibited by some of us but pretty much the same amount of difficulty operating things, just new people experiencing the trials & tribulations of learning a new tool. :grinning:

2 Likes

What is this? Special for use on aluminum?

Some manufacturers make hard stones, zip discs and flapper wheels for aluminum specifically. They seem to clog less than standard wheels and I think they don’t put as much foreign material into the metal in case you’re welding it later.

4 Likes

Beeswax. High melting point. Works great.
Keeps the sand disk from clogging and produces a good finish. Obviously, you need control and finesse.Beesworks® (6) 1oz Yellow Beeswax Bars - Package of (6) 1oz Bars (6oz) - Cosmetic Grade Amazon.com

4 Likes

I give one of my helpers a sander, and I get heartburn. No finesse. Metal finishing is a acquired art.

5 Likes