1/4" plate settings

Still very new and learning and have been cutting 14ga and seem to have my settings pretty close.

I had some family matters pop up that kept me away from the table for almost 6 months and now that I am back I seem to have forgot what I have learned! I am now trying to cut 1/4" and really struggling.

I have a RW45, My Pro has THC.
I have a program that I cut 1/4" 1 time playing around when I got the table so I used the same settings on this new project but it’s not working.

I bead blasted the steel, replaced the consumables with new, tried 45A and 48IPM and it wont pierce so I re-ran the program and the second time it did pierce but when it starts moving it will not cut through so I manually slowed it down and that also did not work. Trying to increase my pierce to 1 but I cannot find where to do that so I manually add some time to firecontrol.

Need someone to point me in the right direction…

Is your ground clamp hooked directly to metal plate you are cutting?

No, cutting a small piece and not enough room. I so have the clamp on the same slat though. Is that possibly my problem?

I moved the clamp a few inches away and now it pierces. Torch stays lit but it does not move into the program. I get an error “Torch started moving before cutting voltage was sensed” Thought I would wait it out but the torch stays down and lit with no movement until I finally cancel the program. This last time I let it go for over a minute before cancelling.

At the top of this forum use the search feature and do a search on the quote above. There is a lot of discussion on this topic already.

1 Like

Put a piece on table that you can ground directly to see if will cut. Grind metal where you are going to place clamp on metal.

1 Like

Will do a search right now

You need to change your settings in whatever program you use to post process.

At least a second of pierce delay and probably slow your speed to 35 for starters.

There could be any number of issues going on that are giving you trouble. The right settings and cleaning the workpiece eliminate two of them.

1 Like

Will grind a bigger piece and clamp directly to the work piece for starters.

Using Fushion 360 from design to post.

I have been reading and wondering if it’s not a version problem with the THC. After posting I open and load in Firecontrol I get a message that says I used v1.1 would I like Firecontrol to convert and save in v1.6. If this is a problem I have not been able to find how to get v1.6 yet….

https://www.langmuirsystems.com/downloads

There is a table with a black heading that has downloads links to all of the post processors.

1 Like

Have the v1.6ls in my downloads folder but as always struggling to get it installed

Sorry but I am not the most user savvy when it comes to this part. I have always relied on my son to take care of this part for me but now that he moved away for work I am trying to learn how to do this stuff without always bothering him.

I also noticed that when I open Firecontrol in the upper left corner it says “Firecontrol 20.6” I noticed in my downloads folder I have “Firecontrol 20.6.2” Did it just drop the 2 at the end or am I also running an out of date software? I have it downloaded but maybe I never installed it just like I am trying to do with v1.6ls.

Tried about everything I can read but to no avail.

I am still running THC v1.10 and MACHINE v1.2ls because I cannot figure out how to update. My G-code was updated and saved by firecontrol playing with the settings and still not working.

My pierce is at .055 and it does pierce but then I get the dreaded error torch moving before voltage sensed and just sits there still lit but no movement. I was finally able to get it to move but at 37IPM but it only cuts half way through, mid way through the bad cut it stops.

I have a new piece of 1/4" that I ground both sides completely clean and I have the clamp directly to the work piece but still the same results.

I dont know what else to try and VERY frustrated at this point…

You seem to be confusing the THC version with the Post processor version. The THC version is not the problem you are experiencing.

With machine version 1.2, you need to be using the Fusion Post Processor ver. 1.6. The instructions for how to install the post processor are here, starting at A5 CAD/CAM with Fusion360 | Langmuir Systems

I know Fusion has made some recent updates that have caused a lot of confusion with the post processor, so the instructions may not match what you have on your screen. There are a few recent posts here that can help you with the recent changes to Fusion. I’m not a Fusion user, so I can’t explain it any better than that.

In terms of cutting 1/4", I cut it at 45amps, 20 IPM with a 1 second pierce delay. .15 pierce height, .06 cut height. I could cut faster than that, but 20IPM seems to give the best results.

1 Like

Figured it was pilot error. I am still trying to get a handle on the lingo and what is responsible for what and really appreciate you (and anyone else willing) to point out the errors in my ways

1 Like

Not PC savvy enough to get this done. I just spent another hour trying to find the ‘personal post library’ from A6 and cannot figure out how to get there. I am sure it is something simple but still cannot get there.

Have a look at this thread. Post process add on won't open in my computer TinWhisperer made a video about the new post process procedure in Fusion.

1 Like

I didnt make that video but i am working on a very clear one right now actually.

1 Like

Video of Post Processor download and install to fusion 360

C:\Users\ YOUR INFO HERE \AppData\Roaming\Autodesk\Fusion 360 CAM\Posts

1 Like