X Gantry randomly starting and stopping

Now that I’ve gotten all the other bugs worked out of my crap suddenly now my X gantry is sporadically randomly with no pattern to it at all randomly stopping and going and stopping and going seems like it’s getting caught on something cleaned the rail cleaned the rollers seems to be no pattern to it. It is in no specific one area nothing in my shop has changed why does a thing have to be a constant battle…

Does the motor make a noise when it stops?
Mine did that when it was new once in a while, mostly tword the far end of the gantry. Works fine now.
Could have a bearing too tight or something.

I think it does, sounds almost like it does when it hits the stops at the end of the gantry. Have to check it tomorrow. Does it forward and reverse

Ya, that is the motor not being able to turn when it should be.
I would run the break in program a few more times, take note of what little wheels are turning on the gantry and which are not. It must be binding once in a while, be sure the gantry is level so the motor is not pulling it up hill. A little WD 40 may help it travel along. Just needs to run I would think.

It’s a year and a half old I use it alot. I just cut two things out with no problem then it suddenly started doing it…? Don’t get it.

Oh, I am sorry, I assumed it is brand new. My bad. Could be your motor is going bad.

clean and lube the lead screws, check the lead screw nut that attached to the carriage, the plastic one…

1 Like

I’m having the exact same issue with a unit that’s 1 year old and only been used about 4 times with successful cuts. Everything was working fine, yesterday. I ran a trial (dry) run on a large cut. Looked perfect. I started moving the gantries around to position manually. Then, all of a sudden it stops and buzzes while i’m still pressing the arrow down. I let go, and press again, and it advances a short distance. The weird thing is it’s on both gantries. I’ve lubed and cleaned everything. Didn’t help. I loosened and refitted the bearing brackets, and got it working better but not perfectly for about 30 min, and then it went back to crazy while I was running the break-in program. My set screws had loosened on the bearing brackets, it seemed. What’s going on, and is there a tutorial on how to address this? Anyone know why it was going fine and then just totally went wacko? Does moving the unit around cause it to loosen? I’m at a loss. thanks.

Power supply overheating might do this. There are other possibilities, but Occam’s Razor says check the power supply.

Is it a loud screechy kinda buzz or a low tone buzz ? If loud loosen up lead screw bearing thingys and see if it moves ok.

Hey Guys, I played with the bearings this weekend, and I’ve ordered replacements just to have on hand. However, there’s no way this could be bad on both axes at the same time when everything was working just 30 seconds earlier. The noise is the typical noise you hear if you accidentally go into the end of travel. The motor stalls and buzzes rather loudly, but it happens at different spots on the axes. I have video, and will try to add later.

I still have the issue, but I found a temporary work-around. As long as I run the stay-down rate below 190 IPM or so, I have no issues. I had to change my programs to 150 IPM on stay-down, and I use 65% for my Jogging in Mach 3. When I was running the stay-down at the 300 IPM, it wouldn’t go more than a couple inches at a time and buzz. I lost my place and ruined the cut and all that metal.

I’m now thinking it might have something to do with how the unit needs to be leveled on the ground. The casters are NOT seated in the square tubes properly, and the threaded rods are slightly bent. The weight distribution may not be perfectly even, and with the casters falling out, the unit must be vibrating at certain places in the movement of the axes. This vibration is audible at the lower speeds and coincides with where the binding occurs. I tried securing the caster a little better (but with my water table full and my metal work on the slats, this was a chore. This made a noticeable difference and improved the travel and lowered vibrations significantly but not fully.

I wonder if I should weld my casters in place? I’ve had them fall out when moving before. I also need to find a better way to level the table since I can’t relay on my casters for it. Any ideas?

UPDATE: Langmuir asked for video, and of course, when I got my camera out and ran several dry runs, NO issues occurred. Nonetheless, they suggested it might be a connection problem in the box. I took it off and lightly jostled some connectors. Nothing felt loose, but who knows. I was able to make several complicated cuts without issue.

1 Like