Winter and a cold garage

I have never changed the filter in the 4 years I have had it, all the other frying, gilter stuff is new. So U suspect it needs changing, and the cold was the biggest factor.
I went to tack the brackets, and the regulator on the mig tank seemed to be froze.
It will warm up in a couple of days, and I bet it will be fine again.
I may run torpedo heater in there first

1 Like

Electronics usually aren’t affect by the cold you’ll get through most winters in the lower 48. If you really want to nerd out search youtube for folks super cooling their PCs with liquid nitrogen to overclock them. :slight_smile: The bigger issues will be the water table and probably the lead screws.

If water freezes in your garage it’s probably a good idea to drain the table after each use in the winter. I’m not sure I’d recommend adding salt to the water unless you really want to replace your slats sooner rather than later.

Where the lead screws could be come a problem is if the plastic bearing that rides up and down the screw shrinks too much. You could, in theory, end up with inaccurate cuts because the they don’t smoothly travel up and down the screw anymore. Also if you’re using some type of oil based lubrication on them the cold will increase the viscosity which could cause inaccuracies.

I live in Southwestern Idaho (which doesn’t get as cold as your side of the state), and have a daylight basement garage so it stays warmer than normal. I’ve not had any issues cutting in a cold garage, but cold in there is 55 degrees.

1 Like