Wavy Cuts on Pro

Howdy folks! Got my Pro up and running a couple weeks ago and everything was working flawlessly. Cutting the same files as I previously did on the original table before upgrading. This morning I went out to cut a couple signs, 14 gauge steel, as I always cut. No settings change at any point in time.

This is a sign I’ve cut many times, it should not have “wavy” straight lines, nor wavy lines of any kind. I first thought it was consumables so I swapped them and funny enough it seems to be worse. The wavy lines aren’t even consistently in the same place cutting the same file. Any ideas? I’ve checked the couplers at the motors and they’re all tight. Thanks!

Update

After chasing my tail for hours I decided to try swapping the original Primeweld Cut 60 torch back on (vs the recently installed machine torch from George here on the forums). This immediately rectified the issue. So now I just need to figure that part out with him. I didn’t realize that would be a possibility!

need to change consumables

As I said in the original post that was my first assumption but yielded no positive result. If anything, if got worse?

The “wave” frequency looks fairly constant/uniform. Bearings? Something Loose at a lead-screw/lead-nut?

I will be honest. I do not know. At first I envisioned a a high pressure water hose no one can get their hands on. The hose wildly sprays water everywhere. Loose torch or z axis? Cletus mentioned fairly constant so maybe not. If it were on my machine I would try the below and see if I could tease out more information.

Cut a 2.5" diameter circle. Does the wave look different at the top of the circle versus the right or left of the circle? Is the circle diameter large in the x direction than the y?
Cut a circle or rectangle at different speeds. Does the wave look different at the various speeds?
Does the wave look different if the torch is making an inside cut versus an outside cut?

If you look at the picture it happens on the straight runs of x or y. But on the circle inside and out and the corners it is smooth or reasonably smooth.

@Tom-TFAR I agree it seems crazy. The Z-axis does seem to have a bit of play but it seems restricted to the y-axis. I’d love to know how to tighten up the rollers that seem to control the y-axis play that roll up and down the z-axis.

I went out and made a couple adjustments, ensuring the y-axis was in alignment on both sides and tried another cut. As you can see it appears to be “inconsistent”. I’m struggling to understand what would cause this, the angles where it has problems are almost identical to other areas that are perfect. Could this somehow be related to the program it’s running, maybe “smoothing” in post processing or something stupid? Sheesh this is annoying!

Is it worth trying to rule out the torch? Attach a marker (Sharpie) to torch slide. Draw horizontal lines and vertical lines with the Sharpie marker.
Also, you mention smoothing. Yet you previously stated, “This is a sign I’ve cut many times.” If the computer was generating a wavy path then all parts should be wavy. If the motor is having trouble reaching the required rotation (carriage sticks) then I could understand some waviness as the mechanism sticks and releases.
Variables: direction (X,Y,Z), speed, position on the table.
If the phenomenon does not associate with a particular variable then maybe a loose connection. A consistent test, say 5 horizontal lines on top of each other could better tease out how “random” the cause.

1 Like

Is it cutting all files like this?
Which CAD and Post are you using?

Update

After chasing my tail for hours I decided to try swapping the original Primeweld Cut 60 torch back on (vs the recently installed machine torch from George here on the forums). This immediately rectified the issue. So now I just need to figure that part out with him. I didn’t realize that would be a possibility!

Man, who woulda thunk? :grinning:
Something must be loose and wobbeling around at the business end
At least we have some success, now we need closure!

1 Like

As a long shot, could the swirl ring being in upside down cause this issue? I know on the machine torch the swirl ring will fit both ways, but only one way is correct. Looking down, the air should swirl anti-clockwise.

1 Like

Have you made any progress in your diagnosis. I am dealing with very similar cuts also with the machine torch.

Unfortunately it seems to have been the machine torch I purchased from George on here. He’s a great guy and refunded the purchase, it just seems to be the torch. As soon as I swapped back to the original torch the issues disappeared. I tried different consumables and everything, just couldn’t get it to work :confused:

1 Like