Using thumb drive to upload G code to Fire Control

I’m new to Fusion 360 CAD/CAM and Fire Control. My machine isn’t set up all of the way yet and I’m wondering about saving and uploading g code to Fire Control. I don’t want to load Fusion 360 on the laptop I’m using for Fire Control. Is it possible to send my files to a thumb drive from my desk top (where Fusion 360 will be used) and upload them from the thumb drive to my laptop where Fire Control is used??

Yes. I run my table with a mini PC and I don’t have internet access in my shop, so I save my cut files to a USB drive and then plug that drive into the mini PC to cut.

1 Like

Just to clarify, do you have to have Fusion 360 on both computers to do this?

No. I don’t use Fusion at all, but Firecontrol is the only program you need on the table computer.

It sucks that you can’t experiment with Firecontrol without having it connected to a table. Once you have it connected to a table, you’ll see that you only need to click the upload button in Firecontrol and choose your cut file from the drive.

2 Likes

Perfect, I appreciate your help. Thank you.

1 Like

Yes having Firescontrol be able to run a simulation mode would be awesome.

You can head some mistakes off at the pass and for new users it would help build some confidence.

I’m wondering if they don’t do this because then it could open up fire control for use on other machines. Now it needs a handshake with the firmware that’s in the electronic enclosure to become active.

3 Likes

I load tap files to OneDrive on my laptop then go to my XR table and open OneDrive, simple.

1 Like

"A thumb drive is definitely a way people move their files to fire share. A lot of the times it’s because they don’t have an internet connection in the shop.

The way I like to do it is when I’m done making up a G-Code file my office computer I emailed the NC file to myself. In the email I also include potentially a picture of the file I’m working with and other pertinent information or machine settings I may need.

Then at the shop computer I open up and download the email. One benefit to this method is that if you have any notes you want to make on the project you can attach them to that same email and send them back to you and you can make any corrections or updates to that file later back at the office computer information you add it.

The other way I’ve done it before because my shop and office are the same Wi-Fi connection is have file sharing between the office computer and shop computer turned on but I prefer the email message it gives a good chain of information.

That’s awesome that you’re up and cutting. make sure you post some pictures of your projects on the Forum site for everyone!

Tin."

This is the answer I gave to a member PM last night about that question of how to get my files over to fire control.

2 Likes