Trouble with Z axis [SOLVED]

When my machine arrived, the Z axis couple was bad (stripped), so they sent me a new one, which I installed and have been cutting with. Today, the Z axis stopped working. So, I opened it up and the coupler was loose, so I tightened it. I assume it was just do to heat cycling. But, the Z axis still didn’t work - motor turning, couple spinning, lead screw not turning. What should I be looking at here? It’s not like there’s a lot of load on that lead screw.

Shouldn’t be a lot of load… couplings are known to strip. Lead screw dirty causing resistance?

Have people ever scuffed up or gouged the end of the lead screw to give the coupler more bite?

Most change the coupling to better ones.

Does the better one also come in that size.

But … turns out it wasn’t the coupler. I took the torch off and ran the little carriage up and down, and it’s hanging up moving down (because there’s about a 1/4" gap in the fixture that drives the carriage).

I cleaned the rails and the wheels, but it’s still doing it.
The top two wheels appear to move freely, but I can’t get my finger on the bottom wheels enough to tell if they are binding.
Is this something other people have seen? Before I go tearing the entire thing apart.

i haven’t had mine apart to cant say on the size but i would say you can. your bearings may be out of adjustment. should be instructions in the assembly instructions

1 Like

The wheels on the right side are mounted on an eccentric and are adjustable. There is a flat spot on the bolt. Hold that and loosen the nut. Then you can turn the bolt by using the flat to loosen or tighten the bearing.

1 Like

Awesome @ds690 . I had no idea. I’m guessing the lowers are just a little too tight. I can get back to work!

1 Like

that worked. Had too loosen both top and bottom to get it to travel freely. Thanks again.

You can just see the flat spot in the picture. A little hard to get all the wrenches in there, but it’s possible.

4 Likes