Torch not piercing

Hello everyone,

I’m having trouble with my razorweld 45 not cutting my part, the torch fires but does not pierce all the way through the metal before it starts to move, I tried changing the pierce delay but it still will not cut through

I’m cutting 14 ga. Steel and I’ve changed out the consumables in the torch, the nozzle, cutting tip and swirl ring but that didn’t make a difference

I was having problems with moisture in my lines and not enough airflow so I’ve purchased a bigger compressor and I added a new Profax air filter after my dessicant to try and capture that last bit of moisture

I don’t think I’m having a moisture problem anymore or an air pressure problem, I’m afraid that I might have messed something up in the torch

I’ve been struggling for a few weeks now and I thought I had it all figured out, yalls help would be greatly aprreciated

You have an original Crossfire with Mach3?
Well, assuming that you haven’t changed your torch height, I would look for corrosion on your Work Lead clamp.
Also, what is your pierce delay set to?

1 Like

Yes I have the original table I haven’t gotten to use it as much as I thought I would have

The corrosion was one of the first things I checked, I figured I wouldn’t be making a good ground connection but I’ve cleaned it off best I good and even sanded the metal down and it did t seem to make a difference

The pierce delay is set to 1.25

Do you have Mach 3 set for seconds or millisecond resolution on pierce delay? If seconds, it will only delay in units of seconds, if milliseconds, then the pierce delay will be virtually 0.

1 Like

It is in seconds, when it fires it is about a 1.25 second interval before it starts to move, I also sent langmuir a message to see what they would think and they told me to check my air pressure, I had it set to 120 and took it down to 90 so I’m hoping maybe that was the problem

Did it fix it?
Seems that 120 on a Razorweld 45 would ‘blow out the candle’ but I’m not familiar with that cutter (or practically any other cutter for that matter) :slightly_smiling_face:

Yes indeed it was to much pressure and was blowing it out, I turned it down and so now when it is making the cut, it doesn’t initially cut through but as it travels around the piece during the cut it will eventually breakthrough the metal and then when it starts to cut an arc it won’t cut through anymore, I tried to attach a pic so I don’t know if it will show up

I’m going to pass the ‘torch’ to some of the experts on the forum, but, in my experience, if you get a ‘plasma’ going into 14ga steel, it’s gonna burn through in a hurry. It’s chemistry. If that’s not happening, then you’re not getting the stated current, you’re too far away, you’re moving too fast, or… there may be gremlins occupying your system. If this last thing is the case, then, you’re only recourse, on this St. Patty’s day, is to acquire a very, maybe even EXCELLENT, Irish Whiskey and enjoy it while you laugh heartily at those DRBs!

1 Like

I agree with Tom…but I have seen similar cut patterns in my early cuts (a few weeks agao…hahaha)…looks like the travel speed is to fast…

I appreciate your yalls help

I just turned the travel speed down to about 40 and it’s still making really awful cuts

I’m going to try changing out the consumables again to fresh ones

At the end of this I’m definitely going to have to find some sort of Irish whiskey

This is so frustrating

been there and done that…problem is…the whiskey tends to get the bettor of me…hehehehehe

1 Like

It looks like it’s gouging. How far off the material is the torch nozzle? Use the thin shim (1/16" or .060"). Also you want a tip that is flat across, not one with small projections like the top of a Rook chess piece. (That one is used for hand cutting and sliding the torch along on top of the material.)

Oh James, you’re so practical. We’re getting into Irish Whiskey man! Everything else is incidental!
On the other hand, you may have a point.

1 Like

It is gouging, I’ve made all the corrections so far that we have discussed and I was finally starting to make some headway

I started a project over on a new piece of metal, new consumables, I was using the thin shim, the first few cuts came out perfectly, but as it kept cutting the next parts, about 10 cuts down, the cut quality just went to crap

Now I feel like I’m back where I started

I might be spending the rest of my night in a pub, this is driving me nuts

I’m also using the tips that came with the machine

I’m not sure where to get the different tips that I’ve seen in the discussion board

George (@mechanic416) will set you up.

Thank you very much for your help

I look forward to what he will say

Do you think I’m not getting a good enough ground? I still use the original ground clamp that came with the machine, maybe I need to get a solid copper clamp like I use for my welding machines

If the first few came out perfect, show us pictures of the consumables when they start cutting poorly. You may just be ruining them quicker than you think.

1 Like

If your clamp is the problem then it’s more likely the copper wire is disintegrating near the bolt/lug attaching it to the clamp. If you see any corrosion are that area, take out the bolt and clean/recrimp so you’re down to bare metal.

1 Like

Did you check the height? Are you using regular or shielded tips?