Torch Firing Issue...Why?

Anyone else just absolutely frustrated with the Crossfire and Razorweld 45? Sometimes it cuts, sometimes it doesn’t.

Currently, it will cut one letter move to the next not fire, continues the entire path but only blows air. I restart the g code where it left off, same thing.

I’ve contacted Razorweld, they said if I can fire and release and fire again manually then it’s not the machine. Which it does, I can fire it on and off all day long by hand.

1 Like

If you hear air come out then the CrossFire has done its job of triggering the plasma cutter. The torch not firing the pilot arc is a plasma cutter issue, not a CrossFire issue.

1 Like

That’s why I contacted Razorweld first. The issue doesn’t happen when I use the torch by hand. It stops firing when it finishing a letter then never stops blowing air but still goes on to the next path.

When I restart from the previous M5, it goes back fires as it’s ending the previous path then the same thing as it goes on to the next path and doesn’t fire.

I don’t have one of these machines, but I’ve seen others talk about 2t vs 4t mode and somewhat similar sounding issues. Do you have a setting for this on the plasma and tried in different modes? Just an idea…may not be relevant…but worth a mention…

I had this issue as well, except that I DID see it hand cutting as well. RW advised me to open up the machine and bump the internal regulator up to 80 psi or so. It’s still not perfect, but it is a HECK of a lot better. I’ll see what happens next week when my Hypertherm comes in.

2 Likes

Make sure you aren’t deforming the torch head when you mount it into the Crossfire torch holder. Also you want the nozzle & shield snug not monkey tight.

2 Likes

“Monkey Tight” being a standard unit of force. :grin::laughing:

1 Like

4 turns past ‘real tight’ or 87 ft lbs…lol :crazy_face:

1 Like

“Pinkie finger tight” is the opposite. It’s also a real measure (8 ftlbs). It’s used to adjust the valve rocker arm assemblies on BMW boxer engines. You tighten to but with your thumb & forefinger with your pinkie finger extended.

For some bizarre reason it’s almost always spot on if you check it on unobstructed nuts (on the BMW engine you’re using an Allen wrench inset into a stud and locking the nut around it so you can’t use a standard torque wrench with a socket to tighten the nut).

Somebody here knows exactly what I’m talking about because he initially had a host of problems with his Miller until we got things tweaked correctly. :blush: He’s probably golfing now so he won’t see this thread but I’m waiting for lockdown to end so I can check back in with him & buy him a beer :grin:

1 Like

Yeah, 2T. 4T makes it continue firing between paths or something. I just keep it on 2T :smiley:

1 Like

Hey guys… I had a similar problem with mine and I eventually got a new board for my table… It wasn’t working properly… langmuir sent me another one cause I was still under warranty… put the new board in and I’m off to the races!!!

Cheers

How did they determine that the board was the issue?

I’m having similar issues but I’ve tried mine is on the 2T mode already.

I guess I will try uping the regulator inside as @keith1 mentioned… and hopefully its not my board cuz I’m past the warranty… I believe.

I really would like someone to explain to me why a 45 amp plasma cutter need 80 psi of air pressure to cut anything?

Dunno, just repeating the RW advice. I am still trying to figure out the 1 second pierce delay.

You must be cutting 1/4" or thicker metal.

Nope. 16 ga on a Pro with an RW45. When troubleshooting, the Downs Team told me my pierce was too short and to set it to one second.

UPDATE:

Based on a video I send Langmuir, they determined I had a faulty torch fire relay. I’ve since installed it and haven’t had any issues on the two pieces I’ve cut so far. The piece I received had a few different components on it, so not sure if this is a known error and they are replacing the faulty parts as issues arise or if they have just changed to a larger part. Either way, hats off to them for addressing it via email I after I contacted them.

I’ve seen numerous posts with issues that are similar to mine. If you are having the same issue of firing fine for the first few commands and then air just blowing for the remainder of the program this might be your fix.

I’ll update again if things change.

2 Likes

I torque everything on my airhead to German spec, Gudentite…