Titanium plasma, Yes or no

Just wondering if the titanium plasma would be a good choice. I am mostly considering it because I have 3 harbor freights near me for consumables and they run deals on them often. Is there any reason not to? Other than the usual they are over priced? cut quality etc. Just wondering. thanks in advance.

I have been using the titanium 45 for over a year now with no issues hand cutting,use it every day cutting 1/2" steel and 3/4". It has been flawless . Bought plasmadyn x45 torch to use on my crossfire pro table, haven’t had time yet to try out.
On YouTube Mike Festiva uses titanium 45 on his table,check it out.

3 Likes

I’ve seen a few of his videos. Just wanted to see if anyone had issues here. Every now and then some youtubers cover up some problems.

The only problem I see is the torch and getting good consumables. If you already have it I would swap out the torch for a machine torch for use on the table.

i would consider getting the primeweld cut60 over the titanium. Not only for the warranty but the customer service and available parts. about 200-300 cheaper as well.

2 Likes

Yes but then I have to order parts. That’s the only reason I wasn’t considering it. The harbor freight parts I can just go get when I inevitability forget I am running low.

they have parts now on their website or you can get them from Mechanic416. I would stock up on consumables anyways. plus, harbor freight sells the tips for the hand and machine torch for the cut60.

1 Like

The Primeweld CUT60 also has a CNC port so you don’t have to void your warranty to wire in the THC connections.

1 Like

yup, another +

If I get the extended warranty through harbor I can get a brand new cutter every 2 years no questions asked. I guess my main concern right now is are there any negatives to the titanium? I haven’t heard any hard nos yet. The cut 60 looks good but I don’t think I can go pick it up anywhere and would rather actually look at it before buying something like that. Enough people say good things so I am not worried about quality just consumables and parts. The titanium I can walk in and exchange then be back within 3 hours, what would my turnaround be on a cut 60?

Unless Harbor Freight has changed their warranty you have to send it out to be repaired, they don’t just exchange them.

I will have to check that then. From what was being explained to me I just bring it in and they swap it. That might be only for the extended warranty though. Or I wasn’t being told everything. I was just told if it ever wore out, something went wrong or my warranty was almost up and I wanted a new one to bring it in and they would replace it no questions asked.

The Harbor Freight cutter is $899 plus tax plus cost of the repair plan if you go that route. Maybe you can catch a sale. 90 day standard warranty.

The Primeweld CUT60 is $675 - $25 off if you sign up for their mailing list. $0 tax and free shipping. 3 year “no-hassle” warranty.

You can use the roughly $300 that you would be saving and stock up on consumables if running out of something is a concern.

Pretty much a no-brainer in my book.

2 Likes

If I were you I would call the number on the warranty papers and check. Back in 2008 when I was a R&D person for HF they did away with the exchange warranty for the exact reasons you are talking about, people were taking advantage of it.

But HF is under new management and may have went back to the old warranty.

1 Like

Yeah, the HF website is a little vague as to whether or not welding equipment can be covered on the replacement plan. I did notice that they now state that it is now only good for a “one time replacement on covered failures”, probably because as you pointed out, people were taking advantage.

I have been using the Titanium 45 with no problems run good no over heating, I have it hooked up to 220 v

My Titanium 45 gave up the ghost Tuesday night in the middle of job due the next morning. It was 7:21pm. I screwed around with trying to resurrect it until 7:29 when I unplugged everything, locked the shop, and tossed it in my truck. I started driving to my Harbor Freight and called them on the way to make sure they had another in stock. They did and I told the girl Inwas coming in for an exchange. She took my number and said she’d get it started for me then.

I got to the store at 7:45, they close at 8:00, and when I walked in the girl said there was a problem. I had read this thread previously and thought she was going to say something about getting it serviced. But no, I simply had to call the 800 number myself to get the Return Auth number because the item was more than $499. That took 7 relatively hassle free minutes and we were good to go.

While the helpful sales associate was doing the return paperwork the manager was nice enough to let me use an empty checkout counter to switch out the case lids of the machines so I got to keep my stickers, the firing control port I had installed.

I paid $129 for a new 2 year warranty and was let out the locked door by the manager at 8:10.

And the only question they asked when I came in to return it was “what’s wrong?” And I replied, “It doesn’t work.” And they said “ok, here’s your new one.”

And that right there is a service that no other manufacturer can or does provide. Try getting a $6000 Hypertherm or a $700 Cut 60 replaced @ 7:45 on Tuesday night. It’s never going to happen.

And as far as reliability and quality of the Titanium 45 goes, I had been giving a steady diet of hot suppers hand served by a 240 pound gorilla and machine served at 120ipm for the last year and a half. I had already gotten my $949 worth out of her long ago.

To answer the OP’s question “Titanium Plasma, Yes or no?” That’s an absolute YES. Bang for the buck, it can’t be beat.

2 Likes

3 years on mine, first year and half just hand cut with it. Then bought crossfire pro and use it on table with machine torch.

which machine torch are you using and do you like it?

I purchased the X45 machine torch from plasmadyn. It has worked great on the titanium 45. I get good life out the Consumables, but have to have good clean dry air supply and proper air pressure at torch as well .