The planets aligned

I decided to cut the base parts for a portaband stand that I’ve been wanting to make for a while. Cut it out of 10 ga and I was a little bit nervous since I paid actual money for the steel and didn’t want to screw it up.

Bottom line, could not be happier with the results with my Crossfire XL. My Miller 375 Extreme performed flawlwessly. Almost no dross on the backside of the cuts and a beautiful flat edge. Compressor kept up just fine. I did throw fresh consumable in the torch to take that out of the equation for possible issues.

I now am feeling pretty comfortable with the process of cutting and the software. I really like Firecontrol. I’m an ex IT guy and and not a newb in the shop and it’s taken me about a month to get it all dialled in, but not full time and I really haven’t had any major issues (at least not yet).

It’s all good! Still having fun :grinning:

4 Likes

Wow those cuts are perfect. Looks like you really have it dialed in. Hoping once I get setup I can get results that good. Plasma cutting has forced me to upgrade air and Im re-doing the shop air right now

Looking good. You’ll probably find that up to a point, going thicker doesn’t make things any harder to get good cuts. It’ll be when you start going much thinner than 16ga that things really have to be right, since the cleanup process if the cut quality isn’t pretty decent can ruin the part.

It’s also complicated by the THC not being reliable thinner than 14ga, so you get to add another parameter (target voltage) to perfect that thicker material cuts are automatically set for based on your set cut height.

I was hoping that the crossfire would work with the plasma/compressor that I already had and so far it looks like I’ll be just fine. :+1: