Table cutting a little short

hey everyone, I’ve got my Pro table up and running, cuts amazing but I’m noticing all my pieces are about 1/16 to 1/8" short on measurements of final cuts.
I’ve been using Inkscape/Sheetcam for long time so I know everything is good there but is there a way to “zero” the axis?
I used to use Mach 3 and with Mach 3 you could Zero each axis and once I did that everything would come out exact size but FireControl doesn’t seem to have that option that I’m aware of so any guidance please?

There is a button right beside the “Dry Run” (Upr Left quadrant of screen) that says ‘Zero Axes’.

What you’re talking about seems to be calibrating steps on each axis and Firecontrol doesn’t offer that option. You shouldn’t need to calibrate the steps, though.

I think your issue probably comes from your stroke width in Inkscape. You should always make your stroke width as thin as possible in Inkscape to avoid size issues with paths.

1 Like

yeah that’s what I was talking about is the steps calibrating but that table I had used gear driven motors so I suppose that’s why.
I’ll have to double check my Inkscape drawing, maybe I overlooked the size of the lines in drawings, thanks

have either of you ever run into the gantry stopping and just doing a “grinding” sound …another words the long screws don’t turn? I’m having that issue on my X axis when it goes almost all the way to the right…it’s not the coupler on the motor to shaft I know that…I can’t figure it out, lucky I’m not really cutting anything near that edge but it does seem weird and annoying. It done once in the middle of the table but that has gone away and now just does it near the edge. Everything is tight like it should be, all parts were assembled properly, it cuts great outside of this issue…Maybe the plastic leadscrew thing that the long screw goes through?? thanks guys

Inkscape measures the outside dimensions of your drawing, but the path is the center of the line. If your stroke is 3mm wide, you will lose 1.5mm per side on your part.

1 Like

If you over tighten station plate bolts, the tube will become distorted and will cause binding at ends. If bearings are set to tight on z axis it will bind in certain areas of tube.

1 Like

Or go to Preferences and select geometric bounding box vs “visual bounding box”.

The Visual version includes stroke width in size calculations for an object. The Geometric option disregards the size of the stroke & calculates object size as if it’s 0 thick.

If you use the Geometric setting then if you want to see if some tight designs will cut out correctly & not overlap other cuts, set the stroke to your kerf width (or double for parts that will be cut outside or inside vs on the line) and you’ll see the thick cutout but it won’t change the size of the objects.

4 Likes

If anything my bearings are a hair on the loose side but will check the stationary? plates? I think i understand not sure. Thanks buddy