Sterling Cool do you see this on your table?

woo science experiments

1 Like

I did not expect you guys to go to all this trouble. You could have just made the suggestion and I would have done the testing.
I just want to say thanks for all the help everyone on here has given me!

3 Likes

The guys on here like to figure stuff. I worked for a man one time that was in his 90’s said you have to exercise your mind as well as your body. Just a way to slow the aging process…

3 Likes

TinWhisper,
The zinc and steel beaker with Sterling Cool shows perfect bolts. No corrosion at all.
The beaker with just zinc bolts is exactly the same.
I’m going to leave them in the solution through the weekend .
What if I induce 12v dc into one beaker?
I have a 12v 3amp power supply. I could turn down the supply output to as low as 1 volt dc. Not sure what gases I will be incurring beside H2?
This would increase the galvanic reaction.
Let me know what you guys think?
As we stand now there is no corrosion on either bare steel or zinc plated bolts.
Maybe the the next test will be to let them sit out in the atmosphere and see if they start corrosion process.

1 Like

Zinc bolt in beaker with steel parts is starting to corrode. Going to let it sit over weekend, but its not looking good for Sterling Cool. Zinc bolts in beaker by themselves are still corrosion free.

1 Like

TBF any rust inhibitor designed to protect steel will be an electrolytic solution and therefore cause galvanic corrosion to anything higher than steel on the galvanic activity chart. A water table is the perfect scenario where you have steel slats and slag mixed into the water along with zinc coated screws.

Thing is once the zinc coating is corroded away the galvanic process stops since the underlying material is steel which will be protected by the rust inhibitor.

5 Likes

Steel uncoated nut in beaker show no sign of corrosion al all. So the answer is to replace the zinc plated self tappers with SS version if you don’t like looking at this process.

1 Like

Thanks for doing this!

No problem pal. This is stuff we need to know. Happy cutting!!!

1 Like

Here are the results from testing.
1 week in correctly mixed Sterling Cool plasma fluid.
No visible corrosion on steel part.
Excessive galvanic action on zinc coating on sheet metal screw.

2 Likes

Did you scrape the one side of the screw head?

No, thats just the way it came out. If i would have left it in longer it would have corroded the whole bolt.
Like Daniel said, once the zinc corroded off the steel screw. It would have been protected by the sterling cool. Very interesting though…

Sid the zinc screw left in the Sterling cool without a chunk of steel in there with it ,was it left in good condition without any reaction?

1 Like

Zinc without the steel bolt had no corrosion.
Needs the steel to start the galvanic reaction.
But, with that being said. The steel slates would be in play the whole time in the water pan.

3 Likes

Bill Nye would be so proud of us

3 Likes

The water pan and slates are so nice and pretty when they’re new. LOL!!!
I use the sterling cool also. Great stuff.

2 Likes