Some Parts Not Cutting

When I do a batch of cuts I always have one or two that do not cut all the way (see the picture below). What would cause everything else to just fine except two out of 10? Your help is greatly appreciated.

are they usually the last ones to be cut? if so, could be loss if air pressure, ie… not enough air pressure in the tank to keep up.

It random every time, but it is usually the first one, and like the 13th one.

and the never ending question…new consumables?
does it happen with new consumables…or old ones?

Happens with both

gotta ask…

Compressor size?
dry air?
settings?..speed and amps…

I’ve had some problems like that when my torch height was a little too high. My suggestion would be to check your cutting height - 0.06 is pretty standard. Do you run a shield over your cutting tip? Using THC?

1 Like

Compressor is a 60 gallon, ran through a desiccant air dryer. The metal is .125” thick and I am cutting at 110 IPM at 38 Amps.

I double checked my cut height and it is set at .06. No shield over the tip and I am running THC.

Thanks!

…set…or measured with a gauge…?

running THC and that happens…wow…

Ground interference? Is your computer plugged into a grounded outlet during cutting?

What’s your live voltage and watch the torch during a cut to see if it’s rising.

1 Like

what is the air pressure at the machine?
around 70ish??

try turning the amps down to 29-30
Running hot amps on a thin cuts causes the molten metal to re-solidifies and is not cut through.

try slowing down to 80-85 inches per minute

this works for me… but you may have to experiment a little…

If it is happening somewhere during the cut and not right at the start it may be a loose IHS connection. If the connection is lost this appears as though the IHS has been activated, so FireControl thinks the torch has hit the workpiece and raises the torch 1/16". You can verify this by recording your screen and videoing your torch with your phone. You’ll see the THC reset right at the point the cutting goes bad, and the torch slightly raise.

At the 29 second mark you will see the THC go inactive, then the torch raise, causing a reset in smart voltage target (now too high). For me the IHS connection at the electronics enclosure was loose. Could also be the spade connectors closer to the switch or a dirty/malfunction switch.

1 Like

@toolboy my cut height is set in fusion 360. I have never measured it.

@brownfox my computer is plugged into a grounded outlet, and the table controller is mounted to the wall. I will have to double check the live voltage but it is around 78 if I remember correctly.

@timcki The air pressure at the machine is around 60 PSI. When I was cutting at a slower speed the dross on the back of the cuts was pretty bad.

@Greg9504 this is exactly what is happening to mine. It will pierce and cut fine, and then all of a sudden shower sparks, and not cut all the way through. I will have to monitor fire control and the torch when I am cutting later today.

Thank you everyone for chiming in!

If it’s a laptop unplug from the wall and run it again. If it’s a pc you’ll need an isolator thing. I don’t know what it’s called.

@brownfox I will give it a shot. I have two ferrite chokes on the USB cable.

So did I. What you need to do is see what the target voltage is for what you’re cutting. On my hypertherm there is no voltage adjustment, just amps. I think that’s how they all are. It said I should be near 120v on 1/4 inch, but live voltage was seeing 32v due to ground interference.

It would cut fine sometimes but as as the cut got longer the torch would raise and do exactly what I’m seeing on your pic.

@brownfox did the removal of the power cord fix your issues?

Yep. I now charge my laptop via USB c so I can just leave it plugged in and it’s been perfect.

1 Like

@brownfox awesome I will give is a shot.

So in your video, I see where the orange lights on the left for the THC go out when the problem starts. My question is that the Z axis numbers don’t change position and looks like at stays at 0.062 the whole time - shouldn’t that change as well?