Last night I had a beautiful ruby explosion and that probed (excuse the pun) the depths of the nastiest vocabulary I have that the neighbours could almost certainly hear through my garage walls.
The software does not respond fast enough when the probe encounters an unexpected obstacle. I’m not sure if this is due to Cutcontrol (v22.1) or the software running or the machine controller (v1.3). I did a post analysis and was able to reproduce the issue. Notice the second time the probe comes down the Z axis it stops too late. Cardboard can be forgiving, but trust me, my vise was not: MR1 Probe fail - YouTube
I’m a little disappointed that I have to shelf out $50 for a new tip for something as this that could simply be avoided.
Other issues I observed with the probe:
- No clear instructions on adjusting runout. The first time I tried adjusting the setscrews I almost stripped them. I then later learned the housing just has to be loosened a bit with the 4x small bolts. Afterwards I tightened up the bolts again
- My tip could move around and have a permanent offset of approx. 5 mil. l learned this after adjusting the runout almost perfectly. Simply taking away the dial indicator (without removing the probe) and putting it back again made the runout suddenly way off. What really happened is that the dial indicator bumped the stylus and it shifted. I later learned through trial and error that loosening one of the three bottom screws on the housing fixed this and then it only shifted that runout was off about 0.5mil.