Should cut speed be changed when cutting text

I attempted to cut my first sign. I’m using crossfire pro with primeweld cut 60. 16 gauge, 35 amp, 55 psi, 110ipm. I have used these settings on the same sheet and gotten really clean cuts with no dross on simple parts cutouts. The sign did ok other than failing to cut a few letters altogether and a few pieces did not finish cutting. I noticed a fair amount of dross around the text and not as much around the straight lines. Do I modify cut speed when cutting smaller pieces and letters? Also I do have thc but for what ever reason it’s not connecting to fire control so I’m not using it yet.

Unfortunately that’s just part of cutting font, or anything fairly small. The heat from the plasma can only spread out so far, and when that torch is cutting in a small area (like font) that heat tends to be contained in that area, resulting in more dross

1 Like

I’ve noticed that some fonts cut really slow regardless of what your cut speed is. They seem to be made of hundreds of line segments and the machine can’t process it at the cut speed. I cut a house number sign that used a font that was supplied by the customer and I had to resort to tracing the font in cad to get it to cut faster.

2 Likes

so, the dross can be caused by cutting too slow?

what happens if you cut too fast? kerf issues?

for example cutting 10ga:
if 40A at 98ipm is considered optimal but causes dross, would you bump it up to 120ipm to reduce dross?