Sheetcam 32 bit

I just completed assembly of my new CF Pro with THC so this is all new to me. I have Sheetcam and am having issues importing DXF files made in CorelDraw and AI. Perhaps not related but since Sheetcam is a 32 bit program and my computer(s) are 64 bit can it be a conflict? Thank you!

I use CorelDraw but save the file as an SVG rather than DXF (better curve support) and use the SVG in Sheetcam without any issues. I have done DXF without any issues too but just don’t do that often. SVG is a better file format. What problems are you having?

I’m on a 64-bit PC and Windows 10 and not having Sheetcam problems so I don’t think that’s where your difficulties are coming from.

I will try SVG tonight. If that works then any import issues would be from my less than stellar DXF files. I thought Sheetcam only used DXF. Thanks for the help!

I agree with @jamesdhatch, it doesn’t matter (on a Windows system) that SheetCam is a 32 bit app. His suggestion to use SVG whenever possible is also spot on.

I’m comparing SVG vs DXF from CD and AI into Sheetcam now and will run them later. Thanks!
Off topic - When creating files in CorelDraw or AI for my CO2 laser (exported to Lightburn) the vector cuts are generally hairlines and/or black. Is this similar for Fire Control? The machine understands hairlines as cuts, not fills. What size lines are best to send to Sheetcam or is it not as important since plasma cutting has no fills? Thank you!

I use hairlines all the time because that’s what I do for the laser too. No difference to Sheetcam.

Do you use SVG when working mostly with text as well? Will it matter to Sheetcam if the file saves the text as text or curves? Thanks!

Yes. I have the option to convert text to curves on save set in Corel. That automatically converts them to vector paths so I’m not sure how Sheetcam would treat text that had not been converted.

I typically use several colors in my designs to drive the selection of paths in Sheetcam. I almost always have 4 different operations and sometimes more. I use the colors so Sheetcam will automatically put them into layers.

I have one for an outside perimeter cut. Then I have a color (& thus a layer) for no offset line cuts where I’m not cutting out an object or a hole but just cutting a kerf line. Very frequently used in art pieces.

Then I have the different offset cuts. There are ones that are for objects that are big enough to support a normal lead-in/out value so I won’t have any little divots. I also have one that is for those objects or holes that are too small to fit a normal lead-in value but are big enough to have a minimal one that is a touch bigger than the size of the kerf. The last one is for those objects or holes too small to support any lead-in where I’m going to end up with a divot of some sort.

If I’m cutting something that needs accurate drilled holes, I will also have a color & operation defined to do “pecks”. That will give me a pilot divot to center a precise post-plasma drilling operation with my drill press or mag drill.

Hi jamesdhatch - It will take me a bit to comprehend the details of your reply but in general I get the ideas and appreciate the information. Thanks for that!

Do you have any of your work online? It would be helpful to see the results of some items you make so I can connect the input you described with the output.

So far I have been running test files without firing the torch. Tomorrow the rubber hits the road and I’m making the first cuts! I must say using my 150 watt laser or waterjet unit was less of a curve than getting this plasma rig dialed in. I’ll likely get my head around this beast in a month or two.

I have some illustrated workflow posts here using Fusion and a few posts on Instagram of some art projects I’ve done but I’m not a huge social media guy :slightly_smiling_face:

Be glad to help with any file you’re looking to cut and walk through the workflow steps from the CDR to SVG to Sheetcam as you start to do projects on the machine.

It’s not too far removed from prepping files for the waterjet.