Razorweld 45 Power and plug requirements?

Hi,

I’m working on pricing out all of the materials that I need to get a Crossfire Pro up and running quickly after it is delivered. One issue that I’m running into is the power. Both that Langmuir and Rasorweld websites tell me to use 230v Single Phase, but neither tells me what current/breakers I need, nor do they tell me what plug is installed on the R-45.

I’d normally deploy a L6 P/R for this type of application, but I might be convinced to use something else if I can find out what is delivered by default. Can anyone share what is required please?

Thanks!

can you clarify what this is…

as for your plug…simple web search shows this

turns out it is a standard 30amp welding plug

I have an L6 P/R on my setup but it’s not the R-45. I have a Lotos LTP5500 which is a 55A cutter. I put a 30A breaker in, replacing a 20A because I noticed the currents would go above 20 sometimes (to 23A), but I never popped the breaker. I just replaced it because…
Others can chime in on the connector used for the R-45, but your selection makes sense to me.

The Razorweld 45 comes with a Nema 6-50P. You need a Nema 6-50R for the plasma cutter.

1 Like

Thank you. This is my first foray into welding. So learning is the order of the day! Where I’ve been previously, everything that was 30A plus all used locking connectors. That is what I was expecting here.

If you’re lucky, your system won’t do too much welding… However, it does happen…

L6 P/R could be either a NEMA L6-30P or R or an L6-50.
L - Locking
6 - 250v Single Phase
30 - 30A
P/R - P=Plug or R=Receptacle

https://www.stayonline.com/product-resources/nema-locking-reference-chart.asp

1 Like

LOL… Ok, fair comment…

The max a NEMA 6-50 is rated should be 50 amps @250 V. Wire must be 6 ga and no neutral. Red and black hot, bare or green ground. My suggestion is to wire it to max capacity then breaker it to whatever is needed to not exceed 50amps.

In the USA we use white (hot), black (hot) and green for ground for a 250V 6-50 single phase. Red is only used in a 4 wire systems like dryers and three phase.

1 Like

White is neutral but you do you.

White is not neutral in a 250 volt single phase system. It is a neutral in a 120 volt single phase system. And can be used as a neutral in a 4 wire 250 volt single phase system were there is 120 volt switch’s and controls like on a cloth dryer.

1 Like

Maybe this will clear this up.
Construction Concerns: Electrical Color Codes - Fire Engineering: Firefighter Training and Fire Service News, Rescue.

This is only for the main panel were the wire comes in from the street. All other breaker panels does not use that in the same system because the neutral and ground are bonded.

1 Like

Maybe I misunderstood what you are trying to say.
You are correct in 3 wire 240v circuit there is no neutral.
It would not pass code if you used a white wire for a hot.
You can check the code book yourself

6/2 wire has three colors, white, black and green/copper. White 120 volt, black 120 volt and green/copper ground and it is code.

2 Likes

When it comes to the wiring in your home/shop I recommend you find a licensed electrician.
But this is only my recommendation

Ok now I see your talking NM cable. In this instance you would mark the white wire with tape (black or red) to designate that it is being used as a hot.
I was talking about running THHN in pipe. Which you could still use white wire but you also want to tape it to designate it’s a hot.

I will leave it to the original poster how he wants to pursue it. I have said enough😂

Maybe it should be wired like this person did. :crazy_face:

2 Likes

Wa da f… :grimacing: