PC and cabinet Prepped for MR1

Just thought I would share the work I am doing on a carbon fiber based actuator design. Still have a way to go with testing and CNCing.

1 Like

What is your area? There made already be a makerspace nearby, or people who wish to get one started.

The nearest one is 30 miles from my house in Worcester MA. I would love to build my own near my house and invite people to it. I priced out prefabs to speed setup. Two garage doors with bathrooms and electrical service for around 50K.

The MakerBarn presently has 235 members, but we started with only three. Look at the demographics of your area, try to figure out what people want. In our area we had a half dozen Lowes and Home Depots. There was also a Woodcraft and a Rockler, so clearly, people loved home improvement and wood working. So the first thing to do was build a woodshop. We found a Co-Op school that had an old horse barn they were just using for storage (junk really). We proposed to build a makerspace in the barn and the school could use the makerspace during school hours, we would use it when school was not in session. We advertised in the tools section of Craig’s List asking for volunteers to help us build out the space. We were never short of volunteers, and some of those volunteers became members. We outgrew the barn, and now have 7,000 sqft of shops and lab area. Do your planning. Develop a sustainable business plan, and you will be fine.

4 Likes

im in rhode island. im 30 or 40 miles from worcester also.

1 Like

Ryan I’m in Bellingham MA a boarder town of RI.

EDIT: On a side note just got confirmation about my order of 2 Bambu Labs CoreXY " up to 5 times faster then traditional printers" should be at my worikshop by the end of the week IE Friday or Sat. At least that’s what UPS is telling me but that has changed. While waiting for things to show up almost finished Autodesk Fusion 360 class and currently learning manufacturing end and setting the spindle speed, feed rate type of holder and bit.

1 Like

im in bellingham often for work. where did you take the fusion 360 class. will we be able to install and use fusion 360 on the rm-1. i see it comes with cut control preinstalled but i really want to learn fusion 360 as im pretty sure its more widely used. please excuse my ignorance . this will be my first cnc. i have a manual lathe and a manual milling machine at the moment.

I signed up for https://www.coursera.org/ it’s not cheap almost 40 dollars a month then you need to of all things sign up for coursera plus for another 350 dollars per year. This included access to Autodesk classes on Fusion possibly other applications. Coursera owned by Google so it has a pretty solid UI and class setup.

The coursera training is through Autodesk not some 3rd party even though 700 plus a year sounds like a lot coursera has a ton of training programs. I also used EdX too for course but those prices are all over the place. Coursera just started to offer full B.S. degrees in computer science from the University of England in London for 14,000 dollars. Sounds like a lot but that is a full B.S. degree program for 14k not really that bad. I thought about it but I am getting old it takes 2 and a half years to complete if you go full time all online.

Already have 96 out of a 120 credits from Northeastern University the Iraq war stopped me because the company I was working for cut the money by paying 75 percent of my education.

Here is another Fusion 360 course I guess to complete. I am almost complete 1st of 4 of them all free under coursera plus.

thank you. i will be looking into this route.

Well Ryan got my Bambu Labs 3D printers in yeah!

3 Likes

Nice, I want one of those

1 Like

awsome , what you plan on making

Parts for what I am building some have to be machined but others are 3D printed and this is the first printer I could actually use in production. My Method X and CR-30 are good for limited runs but to rip off low volume not very usable.

Here is the first of the two printers and it takes a little time to assemble them more then I originally thought. The other many Youtube videos where early beta models and they changed drastically the assembly process.

3 Likes

This is a facebook page I setup to keep progress of my work here is a video of the printers running.

3 Likes

Here is an example part I am working on for a new actuator design. It’s just one small section but part of a number of ABS and carbon fiber parts as well as machined parts in its design.

3 Likes

Hi, can someone help me with a question?
I just purchase the Crossfire XR with the touch screen and I will now be getting my pay for email any day for this MR1. Both pieces of equipment will be within 5-7ft of each other so can I share the touch screen that came with the XR with the MR1? If so, can it run both at the same time? and will the programs come with the MR1 to download to the touch screen I have??

Don’t believe so. MC4000 is very limited on ram and storage. MR1 specifically says not to run any other programs on it. I’m believe the XR version is the same “Minisforum” brand style mini pc. As for the touch screen
I never use mine. Nothing like Sterling Cool dripping down the screen all day. But you can use the both if it had some kind of hdmi switch in line.

Generally two devices will each need it’s own PC for control. I don’t see why the Monitor couldn’t be shared between the two. You need what is commonly referred to as a KVM Switch. Lots of apps where dual PC’s are used do this to share Monitor, Keyboard, and mouse.

I looked on the XR to confirm it is a brick PC and a monitor, so you’re probably looking at something like $40 for a unit like this Amazon Link

That said I agree with @bigdaddy2166 and dislike touch screens in this environment. My go to is a low cost mouse and keyboard and a regular monitor.