Newbie looking for help

I’m looking at buying the crossfire pro to start a side business for some extra money to start. With that being said I did go to school for cnc machining but I haven’t done anything cnc to start so I’ll be starting from scratch.
What I’m asking here is some tips/help on fair prices to charge customers and such. I plan to cut up to 1/2” and your typical signs. What’s the best route to go as a beginner? What plasma is best for the money hyperthem is the top of the line yes but is there comparable for cheaper? I have a good compressor and such. What do is a good laptop/computer?

There are cheaper brands that are decent machines but none of them are “comparable” to hypertherm.

Electrical power is measured in Watts. Which is Volts*Amps. The cheaper brands run lower voltage than the hypertherm. For the same amperage rating the hypertherm has 30-40% more cutting power.

Also look at the duty cycle.

If you are planning to make a business out of it and you have the budget get a hypertherm.

If it’s not in your budget get the best machine you can afford and start saving for a hypertherm.

Of the more budget friendly models I would go with either everlast or Primeweld. I would rank the everlast above the Primeweld. I have a Primeweld and it’s been a good machine for me but I’m just a hobbyist.

Lots of guys on here started with the titanium and have had good luck with it as well.

Make sure you have enough budget to get a good air system. I’d plan on 12CFM and either a after cooler or a passive copper air dryer and a desiccant dryer and a motor guard filter. Depending on your climate you may also want to add a refrigerated air dryer.

Don’t skimp on the air system.

Make sure you are starting with some cash for consumables and material as well.

Start small. Give yourself some time to learn before you start taking orders. You might consider making stuff for friends and family that will buy the material so you can learn on some lower stress lower risk projects.

No matter what setup you buy there is no such thing as “plug and play”. You will have problems, you will make mistakes, you will make scrap. Plan on it, learn from it and don’t get discouraged when you do.

I am excited for you! It has been a rewarding hobby for me!

5 Likes

This is probably the best piece of advice you could give!

5 Likes

So would you recommend the pro or the XR? For a new guy like me trying to get their feet wet to hopefully make a good business out of this? I’ve been contemplating this for a couple of years off and on. I have a great paying job with benefits but I really want to work for myself.

I started with the Pro, then purchased the XR. I would go with the XR.The pro is a great table, but the XR is better because of the table will hold a full 4’ x 8’ sheet of material and has more features then pro.Go with Hypertherm if you plan on doing this as a business, by the time you upgrade to a machine torch on a cheaper plasma cutter you are only a few hundred dollars from price of a Hypertherm. I have the titanium 45 with plasmadyn x45 machine torch on my pro table that uses the Hypertherm consumables, been a great cutting machine but is not as good as the Hypertherm on my XR table.

4 Likes

If you have the space and budget get the XR. Especially where you are wanting to make a business out of it. Langmuir tables are pretty easy to sell if you decide it’s not for you. The only benefit I see to the smaller tables is if you are short on space in your shop. You will have essentially the same learning curve on the smaller tables as with the XR.
As Rat pointed out you can load a full sheet on the XR.

Initially I was planning on getting a Crossfire XL to “get my feet wet”. I started out looking at the used market and there were a couple available in local online classifieds, but they wanted essentially the same price as new. Once I decided I was going to buy new I went back and forth on the XL vs the PRO. In the end I decided I eventually wanted the PRO so that’s what I should buy. Luckly my wife went along with it and let me pull the trigger. I may eventually upgrade to the XR, but for now the pro table fits my needs.

1 Like

Is there financing at all? Did you take out a start up loan as a business right away?

I just do it as a hobby, as such I saved up and paid cash. I don’t know what kind of financing options are available. I imagine if you put a good business plan together you could meet with someone locally to negotiate a business loan.

Lots of different approaches as to the proper way to fund a new business. I am by nature risk averse. Myself I would not go into debt to start a side hustle that I hoped to turn into a full-time gig. Taking out loans on equipment you have little experience with is pretty risky in my opinion. Thats just my personal approach… I am not saying what’s right for me is right for everyone. My Bro became wealthy taking big risks… I make a good wage and live comfortably but I am not going to ever get to his level… But I don’t like the stress he lives under.

If you are considering a loan to get started, I think you need to write up a plan how to manage the debt and the finances. Check around locally and see what others doing/charging for similar services in your area and see if you can make it work.

4 Likes

Another question I have is should I buy a laptop and fusion first? Get designs made and such? Is there a good fusion training video series tailored to plasma somewhere?

There are all kinds of videos on you tube. Just do a search. Also Tin Whisper has some if you click on his avatar. you can also search this forum for tons of help

2 Likes

I think it would be a good idea. I had a handful of designs completed before I received my table. You can download the hobbyist version of Fusion and start doing some design. Once you get your business going you will need to switch to the licensed version. You could also download some of the other CAD/Design programs and try them out and see what works for you. Lots of Fusion tutorials out there. Search this forum and you will find allot of workflow suggestions. if you click on @TinWhisperer avatar he has links to videos he has produced.

1 Like

@Knick

Sorry you must have posted this while I was typing… great minds think alike right? :wink:

I never get to be first :sob:

Im with you on not taking out a loan to start a new business. I look at it this way. I get up and go to work every day but I wanted to start my own business to have a little more freedom to do what I want. If I want to take a day off, I do, if i want to work till midnight :sweat_smile:, I do. If you take out a loan, its an obligation again, You have to struggle everyday to pay that loan. I buy stuff that i need from what i make and i always know where im at! To me thats freedom.

4 Likes