New guy from canada could use a little help

hey all finally got my table all set up and connected to plasma cutter everything appears to be working torch is firing all axis are moving how do i down load a cut file or make one just to do a simple cut im very new to this sort of thing but have been welding and cutting for 25 years …i have many questions for one do i need sheet cam? how do i get a small project from fileshare to fire control ? any help in this regard would be great …

Go to fireshare and download a cut ready file

I have tried… When I do it askes what I want to use to open it? And I can’t seem to find the file in firecontrol… Sorry if I sound like a flat liner…

Is your issue with unzipping the archive that contains the file? FireShare downloads files as .zip and requires these to be extracted before they reveal the gcode file within. This may be your issue as FireControl will only open GCode files. Do you have an option to extract files from the downloaded .zip on your computer?

I do and I believe this is definitely part of my problem

Right click on the downloaded zip file and select extract all. It will create a folder with the files in it. I would suggest doing the f-bomb bottle opener since it doesn’t waste much material and has inside cuts, outside cuts, text and curves so you can dial in your machine.

1 Like

John,first welcome…east coaster ar’ya…good to see more canadians here…

you have been given a lot of information…so I will be glad to help out here…and if needed we can set up a call and walk you through some stuff…

so lets start at the beginning
what table do you have…OG or the Pro with torch height control?
what plasma cutter do you have?

as for saftware…FireControl only reads files that end in TAP…so once you download a file and extract it somewhere…you can use firecontrol to look for it…but if it does not have .tap it will not see it.
keep in mind that not all tap files are for each machine…

you will need a program for design and one for taking the design and converting it to gcode…or tap file…
Design software is called CAD software for the most part…this can be technical design or graphic design…there are many out there that can do drawings and save them in DXF format or SVG format.

I use Inkscape…it is free and very earsy to use to do drawings and make signs…and can be used for some technical stuff…and there is a lot of videos for learning it on youtube.

then you will need a CAM software…one that takes the design and converts it to a TAP file…or what is referred to as gcode.

Sheetcam is a purchased software that a lot of people use for this…especially Langmuir people…I use this also…it is pretty easy to use…

Fusion360 can be a complictaed saftware to use…but it does both design and CAM conversion to a TAP file.

there are many other design softwares out there…so you will have to figure out what you want…but as far as I know only sheetcam and Fusion360 work for Langmuir tables.

that is step one…

Fusion360 can be very complicated for some to use…but it does both design and cret

3 Likes

Thanks and I may have to take you up on that call… I have the crossfire pro with thc it’s paired with a primeweld cut 60. The first problem I had was trying to cut a file that was not cut ready… Second I find fusion 360 hard to wrap my head around… I did manage to cut a small file once I realized the difference

just let me know I will drop you my phone number by private MSG when you want…always ready to help out the EastCoaster…

look into Inkscape for design…I like it…
and Sheetcam is pretty easy also…

just saw this post…hope we can work through any problems if the cut60 ghost shows it’s face…
https://forum.langmuirsystems.com/t/primeweld-cut60-removed-from-compatible-list/15413/2

1 Like

Yeah had no idea the cut 60 was a problem… I ordered it specifically for this table… I guess we will see how it works out… And thanks for the hospitality

So I have purchased sheet cam… Hopefully I can figure this out

any file with DFX or SVG can be loaded into sheetcam…then you will have to make a tool set for each type of material…
a tool set has the height…pierce delay…cut speed…insidecut…outside cut…clockwise…counterclockwise…
do not let this get to you…I was a total noob a year ago…now…I am just an older noob…heheheheh

2 Likes

Right on I’m just downloading inkscape now… I really appreciate all the help… What part of Canada are you from toolboy?

the nations capital…Ottawa…

Right on I just finished a job at Darlington nuclear I was staying in Bowmanville… I work in Ontario quite a bit

welcome! im also from Ontario Canada good to see others around here with the table as well!

Right on thanks it’s nice to be here

Hi John

Nice to see this post I have the Cut 60 and my pro table is on order. I am also in Canada however West Coast. I have been practicing on Fusion 360 and it seems pretty straight forward once you watch a few youtube videos. Mike Festiva does some great tutorial videos.

Also a complete Newbie
Dave

Right on… And thanks I will check him out

Im From Newfoundland, Ordered My Pro Oct 2019, I use Inkscape and Sheet cam, Im only just learning and i found fusion 360 complicated and reading post about inkscape and sheetcam was more user friendly.

1 Like