Material tipping up solutions

Does anyone else have issues with parts that are cut out tipping up and getting in the way of the torch? I have ruined more pieces this way than anything when the torch hits them and moves the material I’m cutting. What is everyones solutions to fixing this??

If you use Sheetcam, the easiest way to combat tip ups is change the start/stop points of the cuts and organize them in a way where torch doesn’t go straight over a cut piece. Another option is to program a “pause after cut” of a few seconds in your tool parameters. If you visually see a tip up, you’ll have time to pause Mach 3 before the torch moves.

If you use Fusion for CAM, select the “keep nozzle down” option and Fusion will direct the torch around cut parts instead of over them.

1 Like

A pair of long handled needle nose pliars and hover over it like its going to run away if you dont.

2 Likes

lol! that usually what I do, just would be nice to walk away sometimes

Thanks for the info! I use sheetcam so i will look into rearranging the points. Appreciate it!

1 Like

With Sheetcam, you can easily modify the post processor to add an M1 at key points in your program (such as after a cut is complete, eg, OnPenUp()), and then, using Mach3, turn on or off M1 Stops as your cut is progressing (ie, nearing an area where tip ups are likely). M1, if enabled, will stop the cutting and allow you to remove debris as required. Then clicking on Cycle Start will resume the program. Once you learn where the ‘sensitive’ spots are likely to be, you’ll develop a sense where you need to enable or disable M1.

One thing I really love about SheetCam is how ‘accessible’ it is. It is very easily tailored to meet a wide variety of needs.

2 Likes

I use the space bar to stop the program between cutting to address any tipups. Then the green cycle start button when I’m ready to proceed.

1 Like

I didn’t realize the space bar paused the program that is so much easier than me trying to find the STOP button with the mouse! Thanks for the tip!

I also use the harbor frieght hook magnets to pluck out cutouts.

1 Like

Me too, i attached a magnet to a small rod i had lying around. i use that to knock tips around.