Machine diconnects during larger cut files *SOLVED*

I have a new Crossfire Pro utilizing the THC and an Everlast 82i plasma cutter using the hand torch. I have cut a few small jobs with no issues. I created a new large sign file, ran a couple of dry runs, and completed each with no issues. Once I run the file with the torch it will cut about 1/2 the sign and then the machine disconnects. I have tried to cut the file twice now and both times the machine disconnects but it’s in a different area around 1/2 way. Any ideas?

you’re getting interference from the cutter. make sure it’s as far away from the control box as possible, don’t have the work clamp cable coiled on top of other cables and also use ferrite chokes on the usb cable.

2 Likes

make sure you have a ferrite choke on the USB cable…make sure the USB cable is not near coiled Plasma lines…and make sure you are clamped to the material…

Check all that first…

Any errors that come up on the screen?

2 Likes

Are there any codes on the Everlast panel? Maybe it is a duty cycle issue due to a resistance issue. Just speculation. E01 Duty cycle, E02 over under voltage, E03 air pressure too low error.
Is your air compressor able to keep 70 psi throughout the entire sign?

Well, the plasma never missed a beat with no codes and yes the compressor keeps pressure with no problem. Also, the 82i is rated at 100% at 40 amps so the duty cycle is not an issue. What’s weird is the machine unhooks and the screen becomes under intensified, the plasma continues to fire and you have to manually shut down the plasma because there’s no software control at the computer. Once you get things shut down you have to exit the program and restart it to regain machine control. I am going to move the plasma away from the machine and install ferrite chokes per another suggestion. I am also going to make an extension for the NC control cabel to gain more distance to reduce any chance of electrical interferance …

lastly…are you plugged into power with your laptop when cutting?..this often is a cause of problems…

1 Like

@Carlthansen The guys already helping you are right on the money. These symptoms sound indicative of electrical interference to me. Losing control of the software is a dead giveaway. Definitely move that cutter and utilize the ferrite chokes. Also like @toolboy said, unplug that laptop if you haven’t already.

1 Like

What computer and what are the computer specs? I had graphics card issues with a Dell laptop and it suffered similar issues. Even though it exceeded minimum specs to run Firecontrol, something just didn’t work with plasma cutting. Laptop worked fine otherwise.

BTW, on mine, running unplugged/ferrite chokes/distance/… did not solve the issue.

1 Like

Oh shoot, @Wsidr1 may I ask what gpu you were running at the time for future reference?

Thank you! I read about this issue before and forgot about it. I’ll give it a go along with all the other suggestions. I really appreciate this community…

I had this exact same issue, it was because mu USB cable was close to other cables. Once I isolated the USB cable it stopped doing it but would still do it occasionally on bigger files. I had and expansion outlet plugged in so i could use a different mouse and plug other stuff into it. I could use this to do everytging i needed to do but when it came time to cut, I had to unplug it while cutting or it caused interference with the USB cable!

I never had this problem until recently. I acquired an older mac that I thought would be perfect to just live on the table. Unfortunately it had this disconnection problem even unplugged from power. Never had problem on various thinkpads that I used previously. Not sure this helps, just adding to the database of info.

And yup back to the thinkpad setup and no issue.

1 Like

Intel(R) HD Graphics 3000. Win 10 Pro Core I5 with plenty of memory. Slow, but met the requirements for Firecontrol.

My visualizer froze probably 75% of the time soon after a cut started. Very often, the cut would continue on as normal and then the visualizer would become active again 3-5 seconds after the cut completed.

With my Asus Core I7 Nvidia equipped laptop and no other changes, not a single issue with Visualizer or any cutter malfunctions.

2 Likes

OK been a bit but I have made all the shared changes and everything is working great so far. Again I want to thank all of you who shared your thoughts…

3 Likes

I’m going to add “solved” to the title. Definitely let us know if the issue comes back!

1 Like