Laptop blackout and material clamp issues

so totally off off the range topics here…something I thought I should let people know about…

Laptop issue
so I had my laptop Lenovo (Thinkbook 15 G2 ARE) blank out on me yesterday…I was in the middle of changing metal on the table…had just cleaned up the dropout of a previous cut and put the magnetic pencil down…
turned around and the laptop was blank…wiggle mouse…tap keyboard…power on and off…nothing.
then I piocked it up…screen came on…put it back down…screen went off…
I found that I had put the telescopic pencil magnet down beside the laptop…with the magnetic end pointed and resting against a port…no idea what the port is…remove the pencil magnet…screeen on…put it back screen off…real strange.
so if you ever loose the secreen on a laptop…look for magnetic interferance.

Material clamp
this one is a liitle bit more on the explainable side.
was tired after cutting yesterday…left the material clamp attached to a small piece of metal on the table…the wire attached to the clamp was in the table fluid…the cable ran down the table to the floor and over to my plasma cutter…
this morning I got up and saw a puddle of fluid under the plasma cutter…not good when the rest of the floor was dry…and not good to mix plasma cutter with unexplained fluid…
turns out the table fluid traveled not down the outside of the cable…but on the inside of the cable…
I now have the cable hanging from the ceiling watching fluid drip out of it…

gonna open plasma machine to check for water…

very strange morning…

2 Likes

A lot of laptops use a magnetic switch to sense when you close it. When closed the screen shuts off to save power.

4 Likes

well…look at that…I moved the magnet around and …surprise!!!..it is only affected in one location…
thanks @Lanty

so if we ever hear of this …we…or at least I know what causes it…

1 Like

Capillary action can be very useful, or in your case, very annoying. Your ground clamp wire is very similar to the internal structure of a tree (or most fibrous plants). Very good at dragging fluid from one end to the other, whether you want it or not. :smile:

Yah…I have had this happen with all types of products over the years…but never thought it would happen to an electrical cable…and overnight at that…it wicked down about 1/2 cup of fluid onto the floor…

Replace the cable. You will start having trouble with it as it starts to corrode the copper wire.

Know anywhere that @toolboy can get one, George?

Any welding supply should have cable. This would not have happened if the plasma cutter was on a shelf above the table were it should be.

I am waiting for my quotes in to build my new garage…once that is built I will be ready to make even better mistakes…

1 Like

Tell us what you really think - no one said ever lol

Water and electric don’t mix well. So why do I see so many people putting the plasma cutter under a water table. Water and copper cause corrosion, corrosion causes resistance, resistance --------ah what the h### :rofl:

4 Likes