Known issues with everlast 52i?

Good day forum,

I have a question about a recent issue with my 52i cutter. The last 2 times ive used it on my crossfire itll make the first cut as planned, move to the next cut, run the ihs sequence, not fire then start traveling to the next cut, run the ihs, no fire again. At this point i stop the program, use run from loop. Itll cut the first path again then miss the second and after again.

Two things i notice strange when this happens, 1 the thc doesnt throw an alarm. 2 air solenoid for the torch seems to get stuck open. Im guessing this is holding the electrode up keeping it from refiring. If I tap the case on the cutter the air will stop and allow a refire.

Are there any known issues with the air solenoid /valves i should have a look at? Until now everything has worked flawlessly.

Thanks

Here is someone with same or similar issue in the past.

Everlast 50 or Hypertherm 45xp - Plasma Cutters - Langmuir Systems Forum

3 Likes

Thanks. I thought I saw something like this a while back but couldnt find it again.

Depending on how long you had the plasma cutter and how much time you have used it, the air solenoid will wear out. Also they can get moisture and dirt from the air in them and gum up the plunger. Its a good thing to replace them at least once a year or sooner if used everyday. I can’t seem to find it right now but Hypertherm recommends replacing it every 6 months if used daily on a CNC table.

1 Like

Every 6 months or so, I have to take my air solenoid apart and stretch the spring inside.

When it gets weak, it will always fire the first time, but the spring won’t close the valve quickly enough to refire the Torch during post flow.

3 Likes

The cutter is about a year old maybe a little less with about 10 to 15 hours on it. I know my air supply isnt the best but it is dry and clean. I hadnt heard about periodic replacement of them. Thanks for the tip. Have seen this style of valve hang before do maybe ill just clean it for now until i get a new one…

Thanks.

It’s fairly simple to take the solenoid out and take the top off to stretch the spring. If you contact Everlast, they might send you a new one.

You have to take the cover off, two screws hold the solenoid in and there are three air lines that you have to disconnect to get it out far enough to take the top off.

2 Likes

also Everlasts are sensitive to moisture in the air…I was getting 500 pierces for a long time…then built a newer air system with multiple drying options and went upto 1500 pireces…

2 Likes

Awesome setup you have there. Id settle for finding a used 60 or 80 gallon tank to upgrade my compressor.

Thanks for the tip on the everlast. My system isint isnt the scale of yours but it does catch quite a bit of water. Im using an intercoolet between the compressor and the tank, an after cooler after the tank, followed by a dessicant driers then at the machine a combination filter and dessicant drier into a regulator then into the machine.

I did the valve spring stretch, hopefully i get a chance to try it this weekend. Building the system up little at a time as i go. Next step a new quincy compressor, someday.

2 Likes