I am thinking about buying the Crossfire Pro

I am thinking about buying the Crossfire Pro and wondering if I can send a DXF of a part to compare the cut quality to the same part punched on a Turret Punching Machine. I understand both processes and don’t expect the plasma to be as crisp, but then again I don’t have my Turret anymore and I don’t want one. I think a small plasma cutter would be ideal especially since I’m back in my garage shop. I don’t want overhead again either!

Welcome to the Forum! There will be some dross on the back; but if cut properly this will be minimal and can be removed with a flap disc or wire cup brush on a small grinder. You will not get sharp corners (.025" rad.) depending on the cutting tip used. You may also get warpage in the material due to heat. I have been using my CF Pro for about 5 months and have found that it depends on the gage of material being cut and how many cuts are being made as to the amount of warpage that you will get. Most pieces I cut do not have any warpage. I am sure that some one with more experience than myself will have more feed back.!!! The first pic is of special hinge brackets 3/8" material, the second is Klingon Bat’leth 12ga. the third is a Humming Bird 18ga. The fourth is of brackets 10ga. the .28" dia. holes were made with the cutter. All had minimal dross.

Molle%20panel%20top%20brackets

1 Like

Depending on what you want cut to compare, I’d do it for you as long as you’re paying for shipping or whatever.

you could probably find someone close to you using the owners map or posting your location here.

2 Likes

Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions. The cut quality of your parts looks good to me. What plasma cutter do you have connected to your CrossfirePro?
Turns out my HTP-650 might not be compatible with the CrossFirePro. It depends on the type of start mechanism used. High-Frequency start mechanisms are not permitted. I sent a message to USAweld asking about this, so I’ll need to wait for an answer.

I have the RazorCut 45. I ordered my cutter with the table “Plug and Play”. I am very happy with it! But I am thinking about Hypertherm cutter. I hear that it is a better way to go… In the pictures, the left hinge bracket shows the dross underneath, the one on the right is the top side.
@brownfox, he wants to see the difference between the Turret Press punch out and the exit side of the Plasma Cutter. There will be a big difference as far as cleanliness on the back side of the material. And both will have a little taper.
@Joel48, I do not know the tonnage of the Turret Press that you were using but you may be able to cut heaver material with the Plasma Cutter. I have cut 1/2" steel plate with mine but it is a little slow. You have to remember that the cutter is a little dirty and there are some fumes from cutting, but you can do more with the cutter.
What is your location? As @brownfox stated there may be someone close to you that can help you out. I am in the lower west corner of Michigan.

@Genesibley I’m in Southern California. It’s 3:24 am right now, so when it is closer to an hour that won’t wake up the household, I’ll go in the garage and take a photo of the part I have in mind.
From this discussion, I think I can live with a .025 radius inside corners and the dross. I have an 18" wide belt sander that will take the dross off quickly.
My HTP-650 plasma cutter cut thickness is a little light but adequate for 16 ga crs and stainless, unless it has RF start. In that case, it’s useless.
I’m looking ahead at the HTP MicroCut 875SC with built-in CNC capabilities. It comes with a machine torch head and a 100% duty cycle cutting 1/2" thick at 45 amps. The capacity is way beyond what my initial need is, but I hate to be limited. My job shop mentality is hard to shake.

@Joel48, depending on the cutter and torch there are different cutting tip diameters. Reach out to the Forum and I am sure some one will be able to tell you what the different tips are and the gage of metal that they are best suited for. The RazorCut has only one size tip. I am limited to the .025" radius. I have only about 5 months experience with the Plasma cutter. I have been a machinist for over 30 years. I retired as a Specialty Tool design and application Engineer. I did CNC G-code programming and Conversational for 25 years. Machines included are Milltronics, Brothers, HAAS, A Robotic Welder, and Onsrud 5’x15’ Router modified for aluminum. I know what the job shop mentality is and it is hard to go from access to all the Wonderful and Amazing toys down to just a few to play with. BUT, I can still use many of the machines at the Company that I retired from which is really nice of them!!! The owners map that @brownfox mentioned can be found if you use the Magnifying glass at the top and type in owners map! I think!!