Hypertherm powermax 45

Anybody have a review. I can get this for $400 locally. Brand new with a warranty.

I forwarded it to you. I am currently wiring mine up (Hypertherm powermax 45) now and will post once its up and running.

1 Like

I set up my powermax 45 using the langmuir systems method. I opened my torch to identify what color my trigger wires were.(Orange / Purple)

Second I opened my torch lead cable connector to identify the correct pins. I then marked the outside of the connector.

Third, I identified the correct pins within the connector housing. Make note the wires were the same color within the housing on my machine. Marking the cable connector helped to identify the correct pins.

Forth step was to connect the splice connectors to the correct wires within the housing of the plasm cutter.(orange / Purple) I did peel back a bit of the wire wrap to access more of the wire.

Fifth step is to check for continuity. I hooked up the langmuir supplied cable to the splice connectors. I tested with a multi meter to ensure I had the right wires. I placed the multi meter leads on the end of the connector (one on the inside, one on the outside) and pressed the trigger.

Lastly, I routed the cable to the back of the plasma cutter housing. Hypertherm did an excellent job of sealing this machine. I had to drill a hole in my housing to run the wire through.

I taped the hole to reduce dust and debris as much as possible. Its not the prettiest solution but it worked. I do plan on attaching a quick disconnect sometime in the future.

81f8fe6ef03898f18bd62672cb334340ed1df7d8_1_666x500

I hope this is clear, it seemed to work for me. Originally I planed to buy a machine torch and use the hypertherm cpc port connector. That was a little too pricey. Maybe in the future if I feel the need to upgrade to a duramax torch ill go that route.

2 Likes

So is the proper machine torch for the Hypertherm 45xp truly plug and play I’m going to buy one and I don’t want to open it up to wire it?

1 Like

@Foxhunter does your xp45 have the cpc port?

I’m going to buy a Hypertherm 45 with a cpc port and a machine torch and I want to know if that is plug and play without rewiring the Hypertherm to make it work with the Langmuir table?

@Foxhunter That is correct, with machine torch and cpc port. It is pretty much plug n play. All you need is the machine interface cable that would connect the plasma cutter(cpc port) to the crossfire to trigger on the torch.
You can buy the cable or some guys are saving money by making their own. 80 vs 20 bucks.

Hypertherm 023206 - machine interface cable

Great to hear. Plan on ordering the machine torch this evening.

Thanks for the info (and the initial question).

@Foxhunter no problem. I just got my machine torch today. Ill post some pics of my setup, as soon as I get it up and running.

They offer the 45 xp with 2 torches and it’s really inexpensive one is a 15° and the other is a 75°. I bought this package and made the 15° touch my “machine torch”. It’s a lot cheaper and you can easily convert the torch back to a hand torch. You could actually install a toggle switch on the cable end. . The 15° keeps the handle up out of your way when cutting with the plasma table.

4 Likes

@bricklef nice!! Probably an option I would have considered, but I bought my XP over a year ago not knowing I would be buying a cnc table. So I bought it with only one torch. I ended up buying the machine torch.

1 Like

I totally understand. I purchased mine a year ago also and I had no idea I was ever going to get a CNC table but dumbed right into getting the cutter with the 2 torches: https://www.bakersgas.com/HYP088124.html

For the rest of you that have not purchased yet…
It’s only $40, YES FORTY DOLLARS!!! more to get the kit with 2 torches instead of the kit with 1 torch. Just the consumables would damn near justify the extra torch!!!

Hypertherm part number 088123, which comes with the hand torch, mechanical torch, CPC port, and the torch pendant. This is the most economical way to purchase a Powermax45 XP if you want both torches. Using the CPC port with the machine torch is pretty much plug & play after you sort out the cable connection. You can either purchase the Hypertherm cable (part number 023206) or build one for much less.

1 Like

Any input on the Hypertherm 45 vs the 45XP? I can get a gently used 45 for $700 or a new XP for $1900…is there anything I’d be missing by saving $1200’s?

Yes the 45xp has a lot more power even though it’s still a 45amp machine, it runs more voltage and has higher cutting capacity. The 45xp also will do etching and has the option to use the flush cut consumables. But for the price difference you might not care. $700 for a gently used powermax45 is a great deal.

1 Like

I tried this on my powermax45 and it won’t fire when trying test fire …I did use pins 3 & 4 …any suggestions

Email is. handyfabnfix@gmail.com

Do you get connectivity when you press the trigger? if you spliced into the correct wires, you should get connectivity when you connect the end of the cord to the volt meter and press the trigger.

I tied into the purple and orange wires on my Powermax 45 and it worked with no issues.

1 Like

Just found the plug and associated parts for the CPC port on the Hypertherm 45. Total delivered $25.68! Digi-key part numbers are as follows:
A1358-ND Conn plug HSG male 14pos inline $5.54
A32516-ND Conn backshell w/clamp SZ17 Blk $6.01
A31998CT-ND Conn pin 14-18awg tin cramp $.53 each (purchased 6-$3.18)
shipping $9.99

Hope this helps you out!
Lester

1 Like