Hypertherm 45XP duty cycle limitations

I have a large file I want to cut and it has a lot of lines. I am worried it might be too much for my Hypertherm 45XP to handle and the machine will shut down during the program. I do realize the Crossfire Pro software can pick up where it left off in some cases but I just dont want to have any problems on such a big file. Cut distance is 1336.9617 in and its 543 seconds of run time.

I am cutting 16 gauge steel at 35 amps 230 ipm.

Is it possible to add a program break in the G code so my machine can take a breath?

Thanks

It’s 100 percent duty cycle at 32 amps at 104 ambient temp. 60 perfect at 45 amps I think. Just add a pause after cut in your toolpathing and you’re fine. Or just pause it while you watch.

So about how far into my cut process should I add a pause or pause myself to stay on the safe side? Thanks for all your help man and ignore my ignorance. You helped me out a lot before with amperage pierce delay and cut speed on 16 gauge with my setup

1 Like

If you bumped it down to 30A and speed down as well to maybe 180 or 200 (do a little testing first) you could run it nonstop.

But if you want to take the conservative approach, stop it about 1/2 way and let it sit for a few minutes.

Keep an eye on your compressor - that might be more of an issue depending on its size & airflow capacity.

1 Like

I’m glad you posted this. I cut some 3/16 the other night at 45 amps and I’m pretty sure the machine ran longer than 6 minutes. My next cuts after your post I watched the timer on the program and stopped it for a break just prior to 6 minutes.

I believe it’s 6 minutes of actual torch time, so with rapids and what not it’s not truly running for 6 minutes straight, but I figure it’s a good easy way to estimate.

Pause after cut for several seconds would probably help. I may had that in depending on my next cuts. I just signed up for hypertherms pro nest, I wonder if they have something built in to account for duty cycle.

I have never paused Firecontrol during a cut. Just hit pause while its on a big move to the next cut about half way through the program? I might test out pause and resume on a small piece first lol.

No worries on my compressor. It doesn’t run much. 80 gallon 14CFM @ 90 PSI.

I will do some testing and try out what you recommended on changing amps and speed also.

Thanks for the help man.

Interested to hear about what you think about the pro nest once you get it up and going.

Cameron, what air compressor are yo using?

I had this issue on my previous cutter that had a low duty cycle. I found out from someone on the FB group that you can add a “M01” on the line after ANY “M05” (M05 is torch off I believe). I edit the gcode file after i post process with “notepad ++” which was a free download as well. I scroll down however far i want to and add the line name and the M01 for the file to pause. I add usually 3-6 pauses throughout the gcode depending on how many lines there are. I still do this even with my new Hypertherm 45xp as well. it gives you a chance to fix any issues that occur during the cut and get any tip ups that may cause an issue.

Also, in the program when you run it to the pause, all you have to do is hit start again. Works great!

1 Like

It sounds like pause after cut in sheetcam is the same thing. Maybe save you a step to just add it before post.

How have things worked out? I just made some beautiful cuts in 1/4 inch mild steel with my 45XP. Couldn’t be happier.

1 Like

Does that function in sheetcam add a pause after each cut or can you designate where the pause is added and how many? I cut mainly 14g so the cuts are not typically long so i just scroll down the gcode and add a pause every so often. Especially right before a long cut sequence in the gcode.

It’s each cut. Your way would definitely use less air, I need to learn a bit more about g code.

It’s a husky 80 gallon single stage 3 cylinder.

Have u done any cutting on 14 gauge with your 45xp? I usually buy 16 gauge but 14 was cheaper than 16 today. I bought the 14 gauge and was wondering what settings u use for cut speed, pierce delay and amperage?

Haven’t cut 14 gauge yet. Just 16, 10, 3/16 and 1/4.

My local supplier doesn’t have a huge variety. But I’m going to a new place next month to get my ar500 and I’ll be getting a bunch of thinner stuff.

You should not any problem 45xp duty cycle for 32amps 100% 10 min straight no stop cutting you need to account for torch off time in between cuts and subtract that from duty cycle. You can always pause Space bar for a min to let cool and then cont