How long does it take

to stop jumping out of your skin everytime your automatic drain on your air compressor blows off? Installed an auto drain on a timer yesterday. I think i lose a year off my life everytime that thing pops off when im focused on something else. I almost just spilled my beer.

4 Likes

Ok, I was laughing untill the almost spilled your beer part. Things just got serrious.

2 Likes

Mine’s a manual drain - I have to open the valve. Cuts down on the stress :grin:

‘Jumpy’, I’d say. Pshaw. A compressor suddenly starting to refill its tank? Pshaw. An automatic drain blowing out the excess rusty water in the bottom of a tank? Pshaw. Beams cracking from the weight of the steel you’ve hauled up to the loft? Pshaw.

Spilt beer? Now that is a criminal offense!
Spilt whiskey might be a capital offense!

2 Likes

Ha ha, I used to do the same. I ran a line from the drain outside. So I now my neighbors jump instead of me!

2 Likes

I wonder if there is way to make it drain slower. Ease open instead of blasting at once.

I have the shut off just barely cracked open. I may have to put a snubber on it or a plug with an orifice

1/4 turn ball valve and just crack it open. Extend the drain time though

It has a ball valve on it built into the solenoid. But that small space between the ball valve and seat of the solenoid valve is like a mini bomb… will need to put something down stream i suppose.

The family’s lived for years now with the compressor and auto-drain suddenly coming on at all hours. But then again, we did own a shooting-range at one time, so sudden noises don’t faze us much! :rofl:

2 Likes

so i put a small hose barb and a 2’ length of soaker hose that’s made for drip irrigation systems (~3/8" OD / 1/8" ID) on my auto drain valve. now its nearly silent.

1 Like