Help with Cut File

What you are describing, we see on the forum every now and then, only with .dxf files. I’m making commentary on the reliability of svg files and how frequently we see fusion’s “gremlins”.

@Fortifyfabworks seems to be the fusion guru. It just has a steeper learning curve.

In short, I’m being the peanut gallery.

2 Likes

I haven’t used anything other than dxf and fusion, guess i need to branch out and try other things

I have a sec to look at it, I’ll convert it and see what I can do.

S-C_v3_DXF.dxf (137.5 KB)

Yeah on converting to svg there is an issue with that one spot. I can fix it in a sec.

Well, I learned something today. @TomWS will correct me if I’m wrong, but it’s next to impossible to take a dxf like this one and make it a useable svg. Dxf makes every tiny curve a segment, so you end up with thousands of nodes. At first it looked like I could fix this but once I looked at the rest of the file it would take a lot of massaging to get it. I can take an svg to dxf, but not the other way…

I have that same file in an svg if you want it. S-C_v3_svg

1 Like

I just love a challenge!
MasonicSymbol.zip (35.7 KB)
I have no idea why this wasn’t uploading properly, but this is from the original DXF file.

I didn’t know what the final scaling should be, but it’s easy enough to resize. Just imported into Inkscape, changed the fill to none. Haven’t tried to load it into sheetcam though

Nooooo… you can’t use his svg. You have to use the dxf. Lol

You can use whatever you want, but I only know how to use dxf and fusion. =-)

I’m still not sure why it won’t work I haven’t had time to dig any deeper but if you have a svg of the logo just delete the logo and insert the svg logo in its place and see if that will make a cut profile.

Here is the file (with my arbitrary scaling) imported into SheetCam.

As you can see, ready for operations.

Yes the original files work fine. The problem occurs when I import this into another sketch and draw a circle around it as shown here. new lodge sign.dxf (587.0 KB)

Use the simplify command to clean up the extra nodes. Or expand the original, delete that one and then resize the expanded one back to the original size. I believe the expand will eliminate extra nodes when it creates the copy.

I have absolutely no idea why fusion wont make a cut path for that left side. I just spent half hour messing with it and redoing it from your svg and I get the same outcome every time.
Aside from that issue there’s some really tight tolerances in it with lines 0.047" apart which will probably cause blow outs.
If this is the type of stuff you do most often the $150 investment in sheetcam will save you hours of wasted time. When I loaded your dxf in sheetcam it made a cutpath in 2 seconds.
I bought sheetcam for one design I was struggling with and only used it a few times since purchasing it but even with that first time use it was worth the money saved in wasted time.

2 Likes

Hi Trey

I loaded you sign into my 2d vector program, it shows overlays and most important, open vectors, all lines are separate, nothing is joined, I can select a line in the compass or even the circle and I don’t get the selection of the full shape that’s being cut out. As for fusion, not sure how it handles it when post processing it, but sheetcam does not like it

just a thought
les