Help Torch rising badly

Pro, THC, 45xp with Lock torch and Fine Cut consumables. Had a devil of a time with low live cutting voltage readings and the torch rising. This cut was at 45 amps with manual voltage set at 78V, but I never got over 50V. I retried cut 4-5 times with same outcome, then created a new program running reverse cut to see if there was voodoo doo doo in that corner or program. Same deal. Even moved the sheet to a different spot on the table. Ran THC health and got 0V the first time, but then later got 124V on retest. FC was freezing during THC test and would not respond to torch off command. Restarted FC and it cut without issue. I was seeing 0V resting after the failed cut attempts, so I doubt it was water in the IHS. Software instability or glitch?

switch. Image of the part after a bunch of tries.

Have you tried with Smart Voltage? If you have it set at 78v and are only getting 50v, that’s why its rising. It will keep rising to try to get the voltage to go higher to match the set voltage. If it can’t reach that voltage, it will rise until the torch flames out.

1 Like

Thank you. What I need is a theory on why it read such low voltage over and over. The cutter is definitely putting out the power, but it’s not being sensed. I tried using Smart voltage on thin metal two cutters ago. It’s not designed for thin metal and cut quality suffered. Now that I use Fine Cut, which are very voltage intolerant, I don’t think it would be a solution.

have to ask this…where is your material clamp attached to?
it needs a good clean contact to the actual sheet you are cutting…

that is the most common issue with torches going up.

also check…to make sure your electronics box is not grounding out on the table frame…

do you have ferrite chokes on any wires?

1 Like

My work lead was connected to the CRS. I saw EMI over and over for a year with my Cut 60 and I don’t see any signs of that. I also doubt it was a ground loop, since adding voltage to the THC signal should actually provoke a downward Z move. Any thoughts on whether it could somehow have been software related?

Sorry to hear you’re still having issues. I now feel personally invested in you getting this to work. We have the exact same setup now. If you’re up for a 10-15 minute video chat, send me a private message.

@brownfox. The Cut 45 and now the 45XP had been working flawlessly. Danny D thinks it might have been transient water in the IHS switch (though I never saw the telltale high resting V after the cut). I know it replicated perfectly for several attempts before disappearing immediately after restarting FC, so maybe it was a perfect storm? Anyway, I will thanks for the kind offer and if it returns, I will take you up on it…

Yeah, I saw my resting voltage jump over the last few days cutting up scrap and getting real splashy. Got it back to zero by blowing it out. But, this has been the first time I’ve ran multiple programs over and over with rotations and patterning, and I did notice firecontrol freeze but continue the cut once, as well as some odd lag.

If restarting fixed your issue, I’d be willing to be something froze and stored that improper voltage reading.

I’ve finally gone back to the silicon funnel, but I keep it folded flat, and don’t extend it down. It had gotten stuck on top ups and burned through fast the first time I used it. With the funnel on flat and folded, tons of splashing and not a drop on the IHS contacts.

2 Likes

I am battling dirty contacts constantly, and also see firecontrol freeze often. Its as though firecontrol disconnects from the computer completely, and simply restarting firecontrol fixes it, although the cut is ruined because it also resets your zero.

I tried the silicone funnel as well, but after it melted I never replaced it. I found it was tagging tip ups to much and blocked my view not letting me see tip ups.

Sounds more like interference than anything else…

Use the funnel but don’t pull it down. Just leave it flat. I had the same problem you did with it snagging tip ups and burning. Just leaving it flat has protected the z from splashes and it’s lasted forever now.

1 Like