Hello from Buffalo ny!

Anxiously waiting for my crossfire pro table to get here next month. Super excited to be part of the community I’ve been looking at this table for about a year now and finally pulled the trigger.

I’m a machinist by trade but I went to school for welding but that doesn’t mean anything haha. I have a decent size oven in my garage for powder coating. And built a fairly large blast cabinet to use My pot blaster in.

I plan on selling metal artwork and signs to help pay off the table. I also have my neighbor that needs to Make some car parts for him and his buddies so hopefully that’ll be a good side gig.

I didn’t buy this table purely to make money but that wouldn’t be a bad thing either. I truly do love just making stuff, and hopefully can turn it into a self-sustaining hobby.

I’m sure I’ll have plenty of questions and hopefully I’ll be able to answer some too just excited to get into the world of cnc plasma!

1 Like

a fellow forum member @genesibley posted this once …and I have to requote it as it is very accurate

Welcome to the Forum jnc. Beware! Plasma Project Disease, Adult males very susceptible, Symptoms’; continual complaint as to the need for a constructive hobby, Blank expressions, sometimes deaf to kids and wife, Always haunts garage or work shop, wont do work around house, Has nose in Plasma Cutting software and designing projects, the need to share information on the Forum. There is NO KNOWN CURE, the DISEASE NOT FATAL… Victim should design and cut projects as often as possible. Have fun!!

2 Likes

Welcome to the group! Lots of smarts around here (plasma and otherwise) and we’re all willing to learn and assist, so you’re in the right place! :grin:

1 Like

Haha the obsession’s already begun The only hold up at this point is trying to find reasonably priced steel. I spent the last three weeks retrofitting my garage for everything and trying various equipment I picked up a used champion 5 horsepower 80 gallon compressor and a primeweld cut 60

1 Like

Hahahaha! …good luck with that! Since Covid19 steel prices here (Trinidad) have hiked 70% :flushed:

BTW You’ll surely love the CUT60 :rofl:

1 Like

I have a local drop shop that I can get decent deals from for a 4x10 of 16 gauge I pay $46 US and I can get 14 gauge from them for $67 for a 4x8 sheet but they’re not really consistent with their stock whatever they get they get another place that I can put ordered in and not just rely on what they have on hand Is 125 dollars for a 4x8 of 14 gauge

So, I’m paying like TT$510.00 (US$72.85) + tax for a 4x8 sheet of 16 gauge now.

1 Like

Man, nice work! …I would love to have one of those!

Its a lot bigger in person than it is was in my drawings :joy:

that is what my wife said when we first met…

2 Likes

here’s my air dry setup it’s over 80’ of 1 inch copper with 8 drip legs on it. it’s crazy overkill but it’s been working pretty well so far, I’ve only had water accumulate in the first drip leg. But once I wire up the larger compressor that may change.

1 Like

Welcome @Chiaman96! lets not talk about steel prices right now, lol it’s ridiculous how much it’s gone up!

1 Like

What are you paying locally vs prices about a year ago?

1 Like

for a 4’x8’ sheet of 3/4 #9 expanded steel was roughly $215 - $230 and now it’s just shy of $400

Oh man yikes I thought it was bad in ny! I just went to a local shop to get some rod for sign stakes and I was talking to the owners father for about 30 minutes, talking about starting a small business and just the market right now and just chatting. He ended up giving me a deal on the material I bought. I got a 4x8 of 3/4 #9 expanded, 40’ of 3/8 rod and about 100 pounds of 10"x8" 11 guage drop offs for whatever cash I had on me because he didn’t want to mess with the card machine. I don’t know exactly how much I gave him but it couldn’t have been more than $80 he said “don’t tell my son” haha and said to get in touch with him again and shoot an email his way. Great guy I’ll definitely be in touch with him again!

2 Likes

WOW! what a steal! I believe it’s roughly $1.40 per lb, luckily I haven’t had to buy any material for about a month now. I’m scarred to even call and ask if it’s gone up again :scream::scream:

He owns a steel distributor and he said they went from paying $0.38 a lb to about $1.28 a lb that’s a big jump!

1 Like