First cuts! Everlast 50s

Today was finally the day I got to make my first cuts! I chose to buy the Everlast 50s basically it seemed like the most affordable unit that would allow 120/220v. At the time when I bought it, I intended on running on 120v but I was able to work things out and install a 50 amp breaker and outlet right where I needed it.

I have a small background in CNC for tech school but it’s been years since I’ve done any CNC work but never anything with plasma. So I’m relearning a lot of things over again.

I’m pretty happy with the Everlast 50s so far. For anyone trying to connect the CNC port its Pins 1 and 2. It’s kind of hard to read on the plug it looks like a 12. Also, I turned my post flow air to 0. I initially had it set to 1-2 seconds and that caused issues.

My first project came out…but not great I’ve definitely got some programming issues with my lead-in and out. I also had it set to cut 4 .125 holes in each corner. The first hole it started but never finished and the second hole it cut way too big. I checked my program and the arrows are on the correct side, so it kind at a loss on that one.

My next step will be tracking down some steel. I bought my test steel from lowes but its only 26g and it was expensive. I’m sure there’s a closer place but the closest place I found with a quick web search is about an hour away.

4 Likes

Great to see you up and running!

26 gauge is very thin for cnc plasma cutting. I believe that the sign would come out significantly better if you cut it out of 16 gage or thicker. Additionally, we typically recommend using a minimum hole size of 3/16" for sheet metal. Other than that, looking good! You’ll find that as you get more experience, your cuts will come out better and better.

3 Likes

Ill have to try that out! I did grab 1 piece of 16g (they only had one piece left)…plus id like to find some scrap steel to mess around with instead of wasting the new stuff.

2 Likes

Our local metal house sells scrap steel for .40 per pound. A lot of it hardly has any rust on it.

1 Like

Is that a scrap yard or something else? I’ve done a ton of work in the CNC arena (wood, plastics, aluminum) and lasers but this is the first foray into steel so I’m starting to look around for materials suppliers.

Metal supply houses are very common fortunately. Of the 4-5 I have visited, all of them had an indoor area for the new stuff, and an outdoor area for the used/scrap material. I always check outside first to see if the material I need is available for a steep discount. Sometimes the material is out there because its rusty,
but often is the case that the material will have a defect in it that prevents it from being sold as new. It’s also pretty common to see plate out there that is less than a full 4x8 sheet. Usually only costs a few bucks to have the guys inside shear it up into more manageable pieces.

Another area i look is the ‘materials’ section of craiglist. Its a little more hit or miss, but i see
sheet and plate being sold pretty often.

3 Likes

Thanks. I did a Google on metal supplier near me and it came up with a couple of dozen - some were fabricators but I expect those guys might have scrap from work they’re doing as well as more supply oriented outlets.

I get most of my laser supplies online. Most of my wood for CNC that way too (for exotics) or a couple of local lumber places. Figured online wasn’t a good way to get steel and the big box stores are limited and expensive.

1 Like

Very nice. I have the Everlast 50s also. Look forward to getting to try it out on the CNC. Have fun with it all!

2 Likes

I was looking for the pin out numbers on my Everlast 52i CNC Plasma and found it here to be 1 and 2.

a word of caution…with everlast plasma…I have had 2 in the last number of years…I like them…but you can not always trust the pins for voltage readings…I prefer to go inside the machine and tie into the torch and clamp electrodes to get actual readings

1 Like