FireControl not connecting to Mac

Hey Bob,
I finally got the old iMac hooked up! now to the next step!

Good stuff Joe! One step closer :+1:

I finally have my old iMac hookd up! what a week!

Hey man… that’s great!!! I’m expecting this will be an even better weekend for you!! Keep us updated and show off your first cuts!! Even if they’re crap, they’re something to look back on in a short while and see just how far you’ve come!! Good for you!

Good Morning Bob,

I’m Joe’s wife Beck and I have a question for you since you are an IT guy and knows Macs.

I finally have my old iMac connected to the table, ran the break in test all is good!

BUT

I moved on to try to figure out why the THC will not connect so in the THC set up guide it says this!!!

Since I can’t use the BRAND NEW MacBook we bought just for this machine.

I’m attempting to run this table on my old iMac.

So my question is before I “TRY” to install these drivers can you tell me if this Mac is to old and still won’t work to connect to the THC?

I’m no tech person and messing with the terminal sounds completely out of my wheel house!
I think I can do it but luckily it is on an old Mac so if I mess it up no loss I guess.

One more thing can Joe run the table with out the THC so he can try it out? It like Christmas and he cant play with his new toy!

Thanks so very much!

Hi Beck,

Let me direct message you. Probably easier to chat about this there.

ok thanks ill look for it.

WAs there ever a solution to this? I have two MacBook pros but running Monterey one will connect fire control to the control box the other will not. It connects to the computer but not seen in firecontrol…

Are your MacBooks both Intel boards or is one a newer Apple M1 processor? Looks like they still haven’t come out with a compatible version for the M1s

Both are running Monterey?

My 2015 Intel MacBook with Monterey connects and runs with 21.1.5. Are you having issues with the THC? or is it just failing to connect via USB to the control box?

the crazy thing is the M1 works fine and the intel does not. I cannot see the control box from firecontrol at all.

Okay. That’s interesting. What version of Firecontrol are you running on the Intel MacBook? And what year is it?

FC 21.1.5 Macbook 2019

So since one works and one doesn’t we can pretty much assume it’s not in your USB cabling or the control box :grin:

I’ve got 2 USB3 ports and 2 Thunderbolt ports on mine. Do you have USB ports or just the Thunderbolt?

Have you tried reverting back to the 21.1.4 or 20.6.2 versions of FireControl? What version of Monterey are you on? I’m currently on 12.4

Sorry about all the questions. As an ex IT guy I don’t like to assume anything.

2 Likes

Hi Bob,

I have 3 usb C ports and a thunderbolt. I have not yet tried rolling back to previous versions of the software. What I did find was on the working MacBook, firecontrol was listed and given permission in Privacy & Security>accessibility but it wasn’t on the non working mac. SO I manually added firecontrol to that. It did not help as it still doesn’t work. It does make me wonder about whether the entire install routine was running.

Hi Scott,

Just checked and I don’t have any special access in my privacy settings for FireControl. You might just want to uninstall your current version and then work your way back through the earlier revs.

Also I see from your screenshot that you’re running Parallels. Have you tried to install it there? Just a thought. That might help rule out any onboard USB issues if it works through a virtual Win environment.

Bob

I took that screenshot from the working MB for illustration purposes. I don’t have parallels installed on the non working machine at this point. I think I’ll try working back thru the earlier versions…

Ahh. Okay. Yep working your way back is a good start. You on the latest version of Monterey on the non-working MacBook?

yes 12.4 sorry forgot that one

UPDATE Some progress I think we have ruled out hardware. I tried the two previous versions available on the LS website 21.1.4 and 20.6.2. 20.6.2 worked right away and the 21.1.4 behaved the same as the most current version. Interestingly enough when installing 21.1.4 it asked for permission in the input monitoring tab of privacy settings. There seems to be a bug that begins somewhere in the 21.x versions. But at least for now I can use that machine with the older software.

1 Like

Good to hear Scott. At least you have a working machine now. Just checked and FireControl on mine does have input monitoring permission enabled.

Won’t say that your problem is solved yet but you are making progress :grinning:

Wonder what would happen if you now try to reinstall 21.1.5? Just a thought.