Files from Etsy

When buying “ready to cut” files from Etsy, are there any issues that I need to look for? Do I still have to put them through fusion 360 in order to import them to fire control?

I would make sure that internal pieces aren’t going to fall out when you cut it.

With a good SVG or DXF you could either use sheetCAM to develop the CAM. Or you could run it through Fusion 360s CAM.

Either way the SVG or dxf file will have to be post processed and turned into g code (*.NC , *.tap ) to run in Firecontrol.

2 Likes

Here’s the outcome of what you showed me the other day. I just used a piece of 1/4 scrap I had. Probably too thick for this piece to be functional, but I was excited that it worked. Baby steps. Thanks Tim for all your help! You’re a rockstar!!

3 Likes

Came out very good for quarter inch.,:+1:

1 Like

Etsy files are notoriously not ready for even to post process.
you need to go through the files and look for open ends…pieces that fall out…size of cuts…kerf width…

5 Likes

Yes, there are potential problems with cut files from Etsy. It depends on what material they were made for, and what process of cutting they were made for.

Aside from that, you have to look out for what I call rogue nodes. People that aren’t designing for CNC or that didn’t run the file in a CAM program may not have caught errors with random nodes or nodes that end up flipped and doubling back on themselves.

Depending on the complexity of the file, you could spend more time troubleshooting than it would have taken to draw from scratch. Also, I see a lot of extra nodes on Etsy drawings. I take out as many as I can to ensure a smooth cut.

3 Likes

Just because you can convert a file to svg or dxf doesn’t mean it’s a good file. Most of the crap I’ve gotten online I would have been embarrassed to sell much less list for sale…

2 Likes