Everlast Plasma cutter firing issue (solved: solenoid maintenance)

Hello I currently have the crossfire with a Everlast 52i plasma cutter with THC. I’m having an issue where the plasma cutter seems to only want to fire after the post flow stops causing me to have to do a bunch of program restarts. It seems to be an issue most of the time but not all the time. Has anyone also had a similar issue with this plasma cutter. I’ve tried different pierce delays nothing seem to have helped the issue yet. Thanks for the help

How long have you had it? Mine started misfiring after a couple of months of use and it was the air solenoid in the plasma cutter. It was an easy fix, but you have to take the plasma cutter apart to get at the solenoid. I took the solenoid out, opened it and stretched out the spring inside. I haven’t had a misfire in a few months now.

Everlast is aware of the problem with the solenoids and they will probably send you a new one if you contact them.

It hasn’t been long at all it almost started right away was able to get a few projects done and then started having the issue. I’ll give the air solenoid a shot makes sense . Thank you for the reply and help

1 Like

What air pressure are you running? I find that mine works best between 60-65 PSI when the air is flowing. For me, that means the static pressure is more like 80psi, because it drops quite a bit when the air starts flowing.

I keep mine in the same range. I do the air check button on the plasma cutter and adjust it so it reads 60-65 PSI.

1 Like

what pressure are you supplying to the plasma cutter…I have the 62i…and I supply minimum 100PSI to the plasma

PSI going in is 110. I followed a procedure from Everlast to clean the solenoid and stretch the spring 1/8". So far that seems to have done the trick.

2 Likes

Would you mind sharing the procedure? I have a 60s…

Yeah I would. But the forum won’t let me add attachments because I’m a new user.

Locate the Solenoid:

1. Turn off and unplug the welder. Use a Phillips-head screwdriver to remove the screws from the green
    case and from the back plastic bezel (if present). An Allen key (5.5mm) is required to remove the
    handle for a MIG welder.
  2. Locate the gas inlet on the back of the welder. Follow the hose line from the inlet until you find the
    solenoid. It will often be located directly after the inlet.
  3. Loosen and remove the fitting on the back of the machine and the solenoid
    can be pulled out to an area where it can be serviced, if you still find that is not
    enough room to work you can remove the rear fan to provide more space.
  4. For most MIG units, you will need to move aside the large side board to
    properly access the solenoid. You can do this by removing the screws holding it
    in place (there are four on the bottom) and getting some slack on some wires.
    That will allow you to move it aside without removing it completely.
  5. For machines that have multiple solenoids, ensure that you track down the
    correct one. This is important for multi-process units in particular.
  6. The solenoid should resemble Figure 1. The displayed information will vary
    from model to model and may be facing down, depending on where the solenoid is located.
    Figure 1
    Disassemble the Solenoid
  7. Remove the four Phillips-head screws
    holding the top of the solenoid in place.
  8. Lift the top (A) off of the solenoid. You can
    leave the wires in place and set the top
    aside.
  9. Lift the plunger (B) out of the bottom (C) of
    the solenoid.
  10. Lift the spring (D) out of the plunger.

Clean the Solenoid

1. Use an air compressor to clean out the
    bottom of the solenoid.
  2. Use an emery cloth/SOS pad to clean the
    sides of the plunger and around the edge
    of its seat in the bottom of the solenoid.
  3. Stretch the spring out a bit.
    Less than 1/8" more. Do not
    over-stretch.
  4. Put the solenoid back together.
    Do not Disassemble the Top of the Solenoid
    If it comes apart, the image below is the order in
    which it should be put back together. (Left to right) Direction of Solenoid:
    Look through the gas inlet fitting on the back of the
    machine. You should see a screen through it. If you
    can’t, then the solenoid may be backwards.

That’s the procedure, sorry I’m unable to add the photos that go along with it.

1 Like

@langmuirsystems can you take care of this?

Everlast service guide.

This was posted a couple months back by @ScorchedEarthMW

Full disclosure here, we never did get the 82i to work right even after solenoid maintenance and heaven help you if you need technical support because Everlast won’t give it to you.

We found a good closeout deal on a Hypertherm Powermax 85 (discontinued for the 85 Sync) and the switch was night and day. Superior machine in ever conceivable way.

I started with the Everlast 60s and very quickly moved into a hypertherm powermax 85 as well.

The PowerMax 85 is a fantastic machine, it pretty well never fails.

I did get good cuts of my Everlast but I found it had some Gremlins.

I think you guys replacing your Everlast systems with Hypertherms should start a ‘Hand Me Down Bank’. Donate your poor old Everlast systems as you move on to the golden land. Since I’m kicking this off for you, I’ll put my name in first for a ‘withdrawal’ :slightly_smiling_face:

PS: I’ll take really good care of it! I promise. You won’t believe how good I am at stretching springs!

6 Likes

I will pay for shipping if anyone want to send me there Everlast plasma cutters when they upgrade.

Also remember that Hypertherm recommends to change the air solenoid every 6 months if the plasma cutter is used on a CNC table. They are not replaced under warranty.

Why didn’t Manual Man (AKA @TinWhisperer ) mention that???

1 Like

It is hard to find in some manuals, but it has been posted on the innerweb lots of times. If I remember even Jim Colt posted it on some forums. You can also call Hypertherm support.

I would imagine that Hypertherm solenoid replacement timeline would be 6 months of hard use in a more commercial environment. As weekend warriors, for now, we might get away with a couple years maybe?

1 Like