Everlast 82i and ptm-60 -Solved

I bought an 82i because of duty cycle and ability to do 3/4". George recommended the tecmo ptm-60 for lower amp stuff with a finer tip as the stock ipt80 hand torch only goes down to 1.0mm tips. I hooked everything up and it wont work with the ptm60, errors and misfires detected with THC. THC off it works okay, still will missfire but I can usually get through a program. Everything works great with ipt80 torch. I have verified ptm60 wiring, tapped into raw voltage past cnc port, moved machines around shop, grounded table and plasma to conduit, put ferrite chokes on everything. Tested different F bomb programs, verified versions of software. checked consumables, checked cup contact. Ptm60 torch will fire continuously hand held when jumping the dangling trigger wires.

I just don’t know where to go from here. I’m suspecting RF interference, but nothing has changed in all my extensive trouble shooting. I did some trouble shooting with Danny/LS and he gave me the go ahead that the THC is operating correctly. I’m just starting to suspect for one reason or another the torch is not very compatible with the Langmuir Systems table.

Any ideas? Any one running an 62i/82i with genuine tecmo ptm60? Thanks guys.

Try routing that long torch cable away from other electronics and stuff. I’ve got mine running up to the ceiling (suspended by suitable cord), over and down to the Prime Weld CUT60 away from everything (to mitigate interference and to take some weight off of the Z-axis. That cable may be radiating some EMI.

Thanks Cletus for the comment, tried it already :frowning:

George (Mechanic416) and I did some trouble shooting and experimenting. After I assured myself that the problem was not the table and everything on my end, I took George’s offer on trying a custom ptm60 torch since the first one was not working. He changed the wires over to a stock style leads and shortened it up to stock length. Problem solved. No more interference, all I had to do was plug it in and it worked flawless like my ipt80 hand torch. George has some theories why this may have helped but to be honest I’m just excited to be cutting with a machine torch with finer tips. There was only so nice of a cut I could get with the limit on the 80 amp torch consumables range(1.0/50amp to 1.3mm/80amp). The ptm60 gets me down to cnc shielded tips of 40amp or 30amp standard tips… all while having the duty cycle and capability of an 80amp machine. Hope this ends up helping a few others in the community. If you need a genuine tecmo machine torch for an Everlast 62i or 82i be sure to contact him!

1 Like

I bought some .8mm and .9mm tips and use them with my 82i / ipt80 torch regularily. Usually in the 30-40 amp range.

I am considering purchasing the 82i.
But, with the issues you folks have noted, I am getting hesitant.
Most of my work will be cutting 1/4” or less, however, I do want the capability of cutting 1’ with the setup.
I do need fine cut capability as I intend on making a few signs.

I spoke with tech support at Langmuir and at Everlast. Each point their finger to the other way about the “special wiring” needed to make this torch work.

What has been working?

Thanks

1 Like

Interesting… I have only seen unshielded and shielded 1.0 to 1.3 available for the ipt/ptm 80. .9 are available in gouge only. Where did you come across these!? Do you have a source?

The Everlast is really popular because they make great welders/plasma cutters at a low cost point. I have used their stuff for around 5-7 years now. Their machines last. I believe its a little bit both Langmuir and a little bit Everlast. The process of THC sensing and plasma cutting itself is very electronically noisy. It’s just something hard to achieve. I really give both companies props for making such a great product at awesome prices. Once the kinks are ironed out(if any) with the pair your good to go typically. Remember your hearing the problems on forums that people are looking to solve. If everyone flooded the forms with “my machine worked great today” there would not be much conversation other then “cool”. For my particular issue the aftermarket PTM machine torch wire was too long and noisy, so I had the seller swap out the wire for another one. Solved the problem. Stock hand torch was fine out of the box. Your going to learn really quickly that this hobby is all about learning and tinkering. Yes once you get the hang of it you can go out to the shop and cut a piece in a a few minutes, but to get to that point its going to take some time. If you are not up for that, this hobby may not be for you. Just the honest truth. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

The Everlast 82i is a good plasma cutter lots of bang for the buck. The only thing is getting quality consumables to do thin metal. This is why I recommend a PTM60 machine torch. You can get quality consumables from 0.65mm/20 amps to do 24 gauge metal, 30, 40, 50 and 1.1mm/60 amp consumables for thicker metal up to 1/2", 5/8" with edge starts. Then if you really need to do 1" then hook the hand torch up and do it.

If you need more info on this contact me I will be happy to help.

2 Likes

welcome to the forum…

I have a Everlast 62i and have had zero problems with it…
Mecahnic613 is bang on…
I have both a hand torch and the machine torch…machine torch stays on the table and I swap out for hand cutting often with the hand torch.

as for the THC and “problems” between Langmuir and Everlast…this is easily solved by simply getting RAW voltage directly off the lugs inside the plasma cutter right where the torch leaves the case…there are pictures here under my name…also a few other people have posted pictures.

I have had zero problems and I like my setup…62i…Pro table…with lots of dry air…

1 Like

I run .8mm , .9mm and 1.2mm on my 82i (hand torch mounted on table).

I order mine direct from China now instead of Everlast. Changzhou Huarui Welding and Cutting Machinery Co.

do you have a website for them?

https://www.huarui-cn.com/ though I deal with them through alibaba.com