Difficulty of adding a z axis?

Ok guys I’m new here. I’m just setting up my table for the first time. I bought it used for a guy that has already started the process of adding the z axis. He install the motor and that is about it. My question is as for a beginner is it worth it to finish it? How difficult is it to finish the install? How much is the cost of doing this? Thanks guys.

tool junkie from this forum has a complete set up and all the instructions on you tube

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCw3IBLnqs2EQ_mQbOf_bfCg

1 Like

My write up of installing mine, with THC, and it’s been worth every penny…

1 Like

Great write-up. Good of you to share.

I actually just updated it right now with some edits… Floating Z probe is better than nothing, but not really optimal for what it’s supposed to do… With thick metal 1/8" or above it’s fine, but the smaller stuff and warpage it’s doesn’t work perfectly because it pushes the metal down and the metal springs back. I’m switching over to the same setup as tooljunkie with touchless proximity sensors.

1 Like

Dicky I’m just really worried about the hassle of trying to figure out how to use it and setup of every time I want to cut. I’m super new at this

Setup is EASY… move x,y to where you want it… Zero… move z down within 20mm of the metal, ZERO. cycle start… Z automatically finds and sets zero by probing… THC works automatically to move Z up or down to follow the contour of the metal… I have had my torch rise up 1" warps in the metal then back down the other side, no problem, no cut issues… One thing I have noticed though is that it’s best to probe EVERY pierce point… It can be set up to do it after certain distances, but it will mess up… So I set the distance to one millimeter… You can check out the post in sheetcam: mach3 with scriber, or something like that… edit it, and it has setup instructions… simple…

1 Like

I thought with the thc you had to set voltage and stuff like that. That’s what I was worried about.

you really don’t “need” the z axis… why not use what you have without it and decide later if its something you want to add. if you avoid really thin material then it becomes less of a necessity, especially if you are using a water table.

1 Like

Most of us are doing just fine without thc, yes it does cost a little extra on consumables and it is something I would like to have but I can cut parts just fine without it.
But then again I still step on the high beam switch on floor of my old truck.
It is a option I live without for now.

That’s just funny. :grin:

I haven’t had one of those in 20 years.

Slid my foot up one of those while I was looking down and the switch head pinged off my knee and hit me In the forehead.

Lol, bet you couldn’t do that again if you had to!