Cutzilla. plate marker

So the CF Pro has a floating Z axis which means it doesn’t have any more down force other than its own weight. So even if you could add weight or drive the scribe down harder against the plate it doesn’t seem like this is something you’d want to do. The X and Y stepper motors are not really designed to push a scribe around so in all fairness my opinion is it probably isn’t a great idea. The Cutzilla on the other hand also has its own floating head so it doesn’t add any more load on the motors. I bought a Cutzilla but am still waiting on the machine to try it out. Could be wrong but when I looked at the scribe I couldn’t see how you’d accomplish much more than a light marking with it. Anyway, if you’re jumping in on the scribe post some feedback.

If you want deep marking than an air scribe is the better choice. I thought of it more as an alternative to the 45XP marking feature. From the examples I’ve seen best results are done on painted metal and/or cross hatched patterns. As for pressure, this is their demo for the require pressure, which doesn’t seem like much

I got it to mark hole centers I want to drill vs plasma cut, and perhaps for marking control panels.

Yep, I got my concerns satisfied and bought the Cutzilla. It looks like a sturdy unit… now to just get the table.

I bought the easy scriber. Plan to use it on the CF pro as soon as it’s up and running.

2 Likes

That’s the one I was looking at originally. I’ll be interested in hearing how it works out for you.

1 Like

The Cutzilla weighs 5 Pounds with the mounting hardware . Will be interesting to see if it works OK .

You can turn off THC in Firecontrol but I don’t see a way to turn off IHS. At the start of every cut loop the software is going to want the X axis to touch off on the plate which doesn’t work with the Cutzilla’s pneumatic actuator and floating head design. I’m thinking this would need a workaround. Seems like the easiest fix is a toggle to disable IHS in the software. Without a table this mostly a guess.

Unplug it from the control unit.

1 Like

I was looking for a way to turn IHS in FC and it looks like it can be turned off in post process. Awesome… hopefully it doesn’t do something crazy like turn off the z-axis.

Yes currently the only way to turn off IHS is by writing your program without IHS commands.
At some point in the future we will work on adding a dry-run mode so you can run a program without any of the Z moves. Basically will just disable the Z motor in software.

2 Likes

This might be the first time that you are wrong on this forum :rofl:

The IHS switch is a normally closed switch. If you unplug the IHS cable it opens the circuit between the two input pins on the motion control board. When a G38.2 probing (IHS) move is commanded, FireControl first checks that the current state of the switch is closed. If it is open already it throws an alarm.

1 Like

Sigh… And I thought he was perfect… Just dont let it happen again Jamesdhatch!

In my defense I don’t have it running yet :pleading_face: and you apparently put in better error checking than I expected :grin:

This does makes sense since THC is optional but IHS isn’t.

Still pretty impressed you undertook the FireControl project - not typically the forte’ of a hardware company. There are people doing that kind of thing for a living who turn out crap. (Still smarting after some Mach 4 buggieness :wink:)

So to use a scribe we just uncheck the IHS in the post and insert values for Z axis control?

Cutzilla does not use the Z axis. Watch the video it’s at the top of this topic.

There is no Z in the Gcode and it uses M8 for Down and M9 for Up. The Scriber is turned on and moves down at the same time. You set the tip of the Scriber at 1” above the work. The floating part set the depth of the engraving.

Im just thinking of a way to use a cheap air scribe in place of the plasma cutter. To mark Locations for welding on studs.

If that’s all you are going to use a scriber for. I was thinking of using a Dremel to do the same thing. Just make holder to fit the two taped holes in the crossfire pro Z axis. Run a 110 V extension cord on the X tubing. I’ m going mount the Cutzilla using the same holes.

That’s why I got the EasyScribe. As long as you have a duramax torch and a hypertherm machine you should be able to swap in the easyscribe the same as changing a consumable. If you have a machine mount this means you don’t have to remove the torch. All this depends on getting enough down force out of the mount. We’ll only know once someone with an Easyscribe and Pro get a machine up and running. There appears to be a few of us… so we should know within a few weeks.

1 Like

I was looking into those but a bunch of guys on a facebook group I am in swear against them. Couple of them said it ruined their torch. Im gonna try the Dremel idea first.