Cutting speed very different than the one on the charts

Finally we finished assembling our XR down here in Costa Rica and connecting our Everlast 82i/CNC plasma cutter.
Yesterday we start it for the first time and tried “straight cutting” 1/4" & 3/8" mild steel in order to confirm our cutting parameters before going to shape cutting.
Something that we found “strange” happen and we will like to have your comments on it.
We were cutting 1/4", mild steel, with 45 amps, 65 psi and 47 ipm. Cut won´t go thru. Almost did but 1-2 mm were not cut.
We start lowering the speed and had to go as low as 20 ipm to get a good cut that will go thru.
Cut was good in every sense, but the speed seem to be very low according to all the different charts we´ve checked.
It doesn’t seem normal even though cut quality was really good. We will like to listen to you guys with a lot more experience than us since we are getting ready for working as soon as possible, but want to do things the right way.
Thanks in advance for your advice.

Hello, congratulations on your new system. i would check and make sure input voltage was correct at your receptacle. provided that is correct. you must be certain to be using as clean and as dry of air as possible…bad air can destroy a set of consumables in just a few seconds. also check your air pressure when the machine is actively allowing air through the nozzle. sometimes you can experience significant pressure drop between static and dynamic air pressure depending on your setup. start off with a new set of consumables and make sure they are the correct ones for the torch…i have read on here of people getting consumables that fit but are not the correct consumables recommended for their plasma cutters. also, since this is a new to you plasma torch, check your owners manual and be certain that you are installing all the consumables parts in the correct order and orientation. i believe your swirl ring can be installed upside down on that unit. , if you did much cutting at all without fully cutting through the material i would say its a pretty safe be that those consummables…at least the nozzle are damaged pretty good from that experience. if your cutting without full penetration of the sheet then all that molten metal is being blown back up into the torch head. hang tight and im sure others much more knowledgeable than myself with throw some ideas your way as well. good luck and let us know how it works out.

1 Like

Thank you for your comments, we’ll check and let you know.