Cutting Feed Rates

10-4.

Thank you gonna do some straight line cuts on 20 & 18

And 22 when I get a chance and I’ll share the results when I complete it

My needs are more towards 16 gauge and thinner

Yeah, I do art pieces more than mechanical stuff that requires inch sizes. So the 16/18/… gauges are better suited than 1/4" :slight_smile:

1 Like

I have the Hypotherm 45xp and I’m not seeing in the manual what the nozzle width i think it is in the tool set up part in fusion360. I have kerf/speed but not the other field area in Fusion. I’m setting up all my tools in fusion based on metal thickness. Does anyone have a chart completed for the Hypotherm Would appreciate if you would share with me.

I just set that diameter at 1" in fusion. for fine tip tool I say its a .045 kerf and .060 on the regular tip.

Hi,
I want to be sure I’m asking you the correct question. Based on what you said here is you set the Nozzle Clearance Diameter to 1" for kerf 0.45 and 060? I have set up the tools for each type of metal and gage. I can’t seem to find what this setting should be for each kerf width. Do you think 1" is best for all tip kerf widths?

What does Nozzle Clearance Diameter mean by the way? I’m still learning and I’m not finding a lot of information on what things mean to me.

Bev

Hey I’m just curious why the aluminum settings are so different for 1/8”?

If you are talking about the amperages and feedrates being different for the same thickness of aluminum and steel. It’s because aluminum dissipates heat faster then steel and therefore you need to go slower or use more amps or both.

1 Like

No I was talking about the settings for the 2 aluminum settings on that spreadsheet. One says 35 amps and 80ipm and the other says 45 amps and 40ipm

There are multiple pages of cut charts with amperage, cut height, cut speed and kerf width right in the Hypertherm Powermax 45xp operators manual. Be sure to follow these charts and use the shield listed…do not cut unshielded or with the hand cutting drag shield, you must use the machine torch shield. Jim Colt

Hi I do not see columns in this chart mentioning “cutting feedrate”, “lead-in feedrate”, or “lead-out feedrate”. Assuming column “I” and “J” corresponds to “cutting feedrate”, what would the “lead-in” and “lead-out” correspond to?

Lead-in and lead-out feed rate is pretty irrelevant for this type of machine. It’s never going to reach speed in the short distances we’re going to see with lead-ins/outs. In fact it’s hard for the thing to hit cutting speeds for a lot of work we do. It’s just a factor of stepper motors and leadscrews.