Cut letters out for tow hitch cover

I have been on this project all day and can not get the letters to come out correct on fusion.

I have a piece of 1/4" steel thats 7"X5" and want to use for a hitch cover. Its the Texas flag with “Don’t tread on me” on it. i can’t seem to get it to work. can someone please advise.

I’ve come to terms that the internals of the snake can not be cut becasue it is too tight of an area. but i can not seem to get the letters to come out correct. i have tried negative cut and now trying positive cut and same results.

I am only showing the how the “D” and “O” from the word don’t come out. any help would be appreciated.

I can help you with the design, but not with fusion.

1 Like

i have it laid out, did it in inkscape. I just cant figure out why cut paths are not cooperating

1 Like

if you did in in inkscape…why are you using con-fusion360…sheetcam is so much easier…

What do you mean the D and O don’t come out?

1 Like

Joseph, thanks for posting your issue… Can you provide a few more pictures or information (files) that can help to understand what’s actually going on here with your project?

Looks like you are in the CAM portion of Fusion360 and it’s only generating paths for the star, the first “D”, and the first “O”… Is that the problem you are having?

I really like the design BTW !!

1 Like

You must have some open paths or something. Post the .svg from inkscape

1 Like

Here is the file. Like i said before i am fine with the internals of the snake not cutting because it is a small piece. The total diemsions i have for this plate are 7"X5" so i made my length 6.5". I scaled down when i imported it into 360 by .7935539 (file is larger than my parameters).

dont_tread_on_me_Texas_Flag

Sorry I meant only “D” and “O” come out on the word “Dont”. other letters are the ones i’m having trouble with.

like “M” and “A” internals are not cutting out

actually I just reimported after shutting down Fusion and this is the best it’s looked all day.

Also the the three parts of the snaked coiled up are not coming out the way i’d like.

When i select the entry of the plasma arrow to be on a piece that is going to be cut out instead of a piece that is staying. I would like the entry on these three cuts to be on the inner portion so there aren’t “pierce” holes showing.

It may be related to your offset settings and just the kerf width you’re going to have when cutting on 1/4. Drawing is fine. Works in sheet cam with my settings without a problem.

I would make some changes if I were cutting it, I don’t think it will look good in that size out of 1/4 inch. I’d run 16 gauge with fine cut consumables and back it with 1/4 inch if you’re after the beef that 1/4 inch would provide.

2 Likes

awesome! thanks for the info! i will definatly do that, and looks like i’ll have to learn sheet cam also. Still new to the CNC world, i’m a designer by trade and use AutoCAD daily this is just an entirely different world but has some similarities. are there videos on sheet cam?

Not sure if this link will work from my phone. If not, search arclight dynamics on YouTube. They have some very helpful videos and it’s how I learnt.

https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCsC9t3WHh6mkLYld2w-gYJg

Other then that, there are many sheetcam users on this forum, someone will have an answer to every question.

2 Likes

Thanks I appreciate it!

So totally new to plasma world, I am running the Razorweld 45 that you can purchase with the system, are consumables universal? or do only certain ones work on certain plasma cutters?

They are not universal. It depends on the type of torch you have. I’ve heard there’s a razor weld torch that uses hypertherm consumeables, but I’m not up to speed on all that.

Jganceres, are you getting an error message in Fusion when trying to generate the tool path? (Might be a linking issue)
Are you checking the “smoothing” box in setup in Fusion?