Cross fire Gen 2

I am just wondering I have extended my cross fire gen 2 table to 4 foot wide by 5 foot long I have used 1/2-10 acme 5 start right hand acme lead screws for x and y axis everything works great the diameter of the cut objects are about half of what the width should be . Has anyone run into this issue and I am just wondering if I need to have a different twist on x axis?

Can you please explain what this sentence means?

I think Jeff’s trying to say things he’s cutting are coming out smaller than intended… I’d assume this is because of a different “pitch” on the larger lead screws he’s installed…

Wasn’t there a formula for figuring out distance traveled per pulse on the stepper motor? Or am I barking up the wrong tree here?

1 Like

He’s saying multiple things without referencing specific things so I have no idea what is wrong.

No, you’re right if you were configuring Mach3 then you could figure that stuff out and modify it. You can’t modify it in FireControl.

Yes the y axis measures out ok with cut and measurements its the x axis that is about 1/2 of what the real measurement should be. If this makes sense?

If the pitch of the leadscrew is the same for both axis, then it only makes sense if you accidentally tripped the dip switches on one of the axis so it’s different that the other.

1 Like

Yes I am not sure about all this would it matter with me changing the lead screws of both to 1/2 inch? Should this work from what I have seen other doing they did not have an issue. Mine is just the x axis but I am waiting on a new 1/2 10 rh 5 start acme lead screw because it does have some warping to it. But I know pro has 1/2 inch for x axis and it does not appear to have an issue.

And dip switch I am not familiar with is there something I should check within the power box?

The step signals are translated into a certain degree of rotation of the leadscrew. That in turn translates into a certain distance per revolution. So if you change the leadscrew pitch it has no idea how far it has moved. So higher number of tpi than 8 is shorter distances and a lower number of thread pitch moves farther per rotation. The only way to keep the travels the same is to use the same leadscrew pitch. I think its a 4 start 8tpi leadscrew. Doesn’t matter what diameter it is though. Thats why your 10tpi leadscrew is making small parts. Takes two more turns to equal the same distance as an 8tip screw IF the number of starts are the same, and there’s no way to tell firecontrol do that, like you can with mach3. For multiple start leadscrews the lead is the pitch multiplied by the number of starts, so you still have to have a 4 start leadscrew to get the correct travel.

1 Like

I would like to thank everyone that has helped I got my machine working it was a warped lead screw.

1 Like

So was there some “slipping” going on somewhere due to the warped leadscrew??

If the lead screw was warped I’m guessing it was stalling the motor.