Consumables burning up fast

Ok I will try this out and let y’all know. I still found it strange that the 40amp nozzle lasted much longer

1 Like

I don’t have an answer for that… been doing all sorts of mental gymnastics with that and haven’t come to a conclusion… :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: It seems like as long as you were running at or below the rated amps for each nozzle it should act similar wear wise?

@toolboy and @TinWhisperer may have an explanation for that?

@mechanic416
Hey George…what do you think?

@BradFab and I had a a long talk on the phone about that. I gave him some settings and things to try. Lets see if they work out.

3 Likes

How often do you drain the Compressor tank? and how much water do you get?
Do you have your drier drain into something so you can see how much water your getting from it?

Did to convert the inside of the Eastwood filter canister to hold the optional desiccant cell?

Just a note for future readers. desiccant must be stored in a sealed container till use. Expose them to atmosphere will cause them to start adsorbing moisture.

Yes I did use the word adsorb not absorb , Desiccant does not soak up water like a sponge (absorb) . Water sticks to the surface of the desiccant beads which is a the process of adsorption.

7 Likes

If your wife ever want a divorce, I will marry you just to get any question I might ever have answered

1 Like

After installing the after cooler with the auto drain I don’t get much water out of the tank drain. Some days I forget to drain the tank but on this particular cut I know it was drained. The refrigerator dryer drain just hangs out on the ground and I check during each use. I realized that I used 1/4” air coupler fittings and just bought 1/2” fittings and some copper pipe.

Big difference here. Can’t believe I never though about this

1 Like

yup…now this may not be the root of your issue…but it will certainly help with air volume…/
here is a great explanation…

you may have been getting 70 PSI at the plasma but not the volume of air needed.

3 Likes

Yes I do believe this will help regardless of the results. This is an issue that needed to be addressed. I will keep battling this until all issues are resolved

2 Likes

And we will be there to help.

3/4” copper ran across the ceiling into 1/2” couplers and hose. Took the regulator off of the desiccant filter. Going to do some test cuts tomorrow after church.

3 Likes

looks great…lets see the results…

Very noticeable difference on the sound while cutting. Doesn’t make as much of a mess with splatter. However I still have cut quality problems. Here’s the rundown.
.0600 CR steel
30 amps
30amp unshielded nozzle
70psi at the machine while cutting with no fluctuation
Cut height .060 (I’ve tried all the way up to .072 with no improvement)
Cut speed 90 -140 and I seem to get the best results around 100 ipm
.5 Pierce delay
Pierce height .15
Spring back .02
Smoothing turned on
I’ve tried turning off the THC and manually setting the height with feeler gauges
I have also played a little with the air pressure. 65-85.
Ground clamp directly to material. Even cleaned up the metal with a flap disc. Gave the clamp a really good cleaning also.
Laptop is not plugged in

All couplers are snug and marked.

Obviously fresh consumables also

Is torch loose in holder looks like something is loose. May pull consumable make sure they are seated in the torch good.

Yes. No play whatsoever in the in the torch. Had that issue before and fixed it

Switched to a 40amp nozzle and bumped speed to 160. Big difference in the cut quality. I need finer cuts for what I do. I can’t use 40amp for the intricate cuts but it definitely cuts a lot better. I have seen other guys on this forum with the same torch that had the same issue. For some reason this torch does not like 30 amps. I’ve tried turning it down to 25 amps and worked my way up to 30. Nothing. All garbage cuts. This cut is on a rusty piece and it still has almost no dross whatsoever with 40 amps.

seems a bit of chatter is happening…have you oiled the drive screws with some 3-1 oil?..

1 Like