Can plasma produce something similar to this?

Sure, I will upload some pics asap. Consumables haven’t had much use, using a Hypertherm 45XP with book settings. Using figma & sheetcam for svg’s / gcode. I will upload pictures as soon as I can.

1 Like

Ok hopefully I can look at this sometime next week

I have to apologize, I have a project going that just turned in to a big mess. It might be awhile before I can cut that logo, are you in a time crunch?
Also I did not get the SVG

2 Likes

DM me the file. I’ll cut one, if Knick doesn’t have time.

4 Likes

No problem Knick, thank you for the offer.

ds690, I’ve sent you the file - thanks so much, I really appreciate it!

I couldn’t use the image from the DM, so I grabbed a picture from the Facebook page and did a quick trace in Inkscape.

This could be better if I made the bridges larger in the letters or just made the letters larger. The part is 5" x 1.75".

2 Likes

Here is the result of cutting your SVG file. I still had to bridge the “O” and modify the “G” to leave a large enough bridge. This is about 6" x 2", which is the size that your SVG opened in Inkscape.

2 Likes

That’s great, thank you so much! The bridge makes sense - the originally was definitely too small.

This is pretty similar to the cut quality I’m getting to be honest (using hypertherm with finecut consumables). I’m thinking it’s just a little too small for the lines to be perfectly sharp. I’ve seen jim colt say even he uses laser for smaller items which doesn’t fill me with confidence - back to the drawing board I think :thinking:

2 Likes

If I was going to need more than a few of those, I would definitely have them laser cut. Plasma is just not the tool for the job, if precision is the goal.

2 Likes

Yeah, unfortunately I think you’re right. I’m going to buy a fiber laser machine - it should be here within the next 30 days. I will update when it arrives!

2 Likes

That was really nice for you to try David. Thanks.

1 Like

What did you buy? I’ve been contemplating a fiber laser myself.

1 Like

Agree Jim, glad to know I wasn’t going crazy.

I’ve bought a gweike fiber laser James. It’s going to take a month to arrive but very excited to see what it can do.

1 Like

The engraving series or one of the big ones that can cut? The prices for cutters are just stubbornly expensive :face_with_diagonal_mouth:

Yeah, anything powerful enough to cut 10ga comes up on the $10k mark for just the head and power supply.

1 Like

The big ones that can cut (it’s 1500W). I think the smaller 100W ones can cut very thin steel but they need a lot of passes. Definitely a lot more expensive than plasma :sob:

1 Like