Buying a used machine?

Hello everyone. I’m new here and I’ve been looking at a CrossFire system for a while. Anyway a local person is selling a “slightly” used system, and as I’m new to these, I don’t really know what to look for. I’m hoping you all could give me some advice.

Apparently it’s a standard CrossFire system with water table and a Cut45 plasma torch. I’m not sure if it’s the new/upgraded torch. How would I tell?

Are there any common failure points or red flags I should look for?

Any other things I should know?

Thanks a lot for your help,
Chris

At a minimum, they should be able to demo the break-in program and this will allow you to check that the mechanical movements are smooth and not (too) creaky.
Demoing cutting a reasonably sized (4" or so) circle in something like 16-11gauge steel should be a pretty easy thing to demonstrate as well. You can then check the cut quality.

BTW, welcome to the zoo!

Thanks a lot, Tom. I appreciate the help.

Thanks again, Tom. He was able to do a brief demo and it all looked good, so I took the plunge. It’s sitting in my garage now.

1 Like

Hey Chris, welcome to the forum!

The first thing I recommend anyone check when purchasing a used CrossFire is whether it will run using Mach3 (Gen1 machine) or FireControl (Gen2 machine). There are cosmetic differences between the CNC control boxes that indicate which software to use. Mach3 CrossFire machines have colorful blue, green, red, and yellow markings around the ports on the control box whereas FireControl CrossFire machines have more simple white and burgundy markings around the ports.

unnamed_copy.jpg

Regarding whether you have the older S45 or the newer X45 torch, remove the consumables from the torch and match them up to the pictures of the consumables that we have on our webstore. Don’t pay too much mind to the cosmetic appearance of the body of the torch, the consumables are more important.

Edit: typo
Tomws Added tags: Gen1 vs Gen2, Gen 1 vs Gen 2, Original vs Firecontrol

3 Likes

Thank you very much. That’s fantastic info!

Thank you, this helped me decipher which machine I just bought myself.