Big dreams little shop in VT

I have the Lotus LTP5500DCNC and it works fine. The two connectors serve two different functions. Interestingly, IIRC, the original version of this PC had the Arc Voltage and the Arc Starting signal on the 4 pin connector and the Start Control on the 2 pin connector. Regardless, the only two signals you need are the Start - Torch Fire connects to CrossFire torch relay, Arc Voltage - connects to the THC DIV box as Full Voltage output.

If I were to buy again, I would get the PrimeWeld Cut 60. The cut results posted on this forum look better overall than what I get and it seems to be able to handle thicker material longer.

3 Likes

I have owned a Lotos and primeweld. The lotos is a decent machine but between the two I would choose the Primeweld. If I were in your position I would seriously consider going with the Everlast machine.

1 Like

I have an Everlast 62i…love it…had a Everlast 50S before…ran the hell out of it…but if I had the budget I would go Hypertherm for sure…

here is my take on plasma units…

You can buy any table you like…but the backbone of the whole operation is ultimately the plasma cutter…

An economic/lower end unit will get you through the cutting…but can often give questionable cuts and be a pain to set-up and trouble shoot for problems…and might not last as long as you like…and will it be useable on another table later…

The mid-range plasma will be easier and cut better…better consumable life and availability…better service…more people have them to help if there are problems…and it will most likely be able to take on more material and be used on a bigger table later…

Top of the line plasma…dam man you are off to the races no matter what you are doing…

so you need to look at your options and needs…but like others have said…you need good power to run plasma cutting…220v 30 amp for a 60 gallon compressor…220v 50amp or better for plasma…a 110v plasma will not “cut” it as you get more into plasma…it does not have the longer duty cycle for long cuts

4 Likes

Aweome you have a 200 amp panel jjst hope it has empty spaces. My last house it was full no empty spaces but luckily moved before it became a problem. My new building i am building i dont plan on having that problem as will have a 320 amp serveice with 2 200 amp panels.
On the plasma go as big and with as high as quality as you. The cheaper ones will work but can cause issues. If on a limited budget go with everlast. Open wallet go with hypertherm.

Turns out i will need to upgrade my service/power after all. Its a bummer but i will get there. I have been trying to find the right compressor, but everything seems to small or to loud or the reviews are just terrible… Anyone have any suggestions?

1 Like

California Air Tools
I have one of their compressors…I no longer use it for my plasma as i went bigger.
but I tell you…you will pay a lot for these but they are sooooo quiet it is unreal…

1 Like

I was actually looking at those! Was wondering if they packed enough punch to at least get me started.

You’ll likely want a minimum of 9 CFM got 100 PSI.

I know California air tools makes a wide variety of outputs.

The best thing to do for noise is put compressor outside or in another room to cut down on noise. As far as compressors go if any doubt go as big as you can. Compressors are like plasma cutters and welders, it sucks to realize doen the road should have went bigger. I went with a Champion 7.5 hp. I think it is around 25 CFM cant remember exactly. I always would rather have too much than too little in capacity.

2 Likes

so this is the model I have

it just…and I mean just…met my requirements for my Everlast 62i plasma…what saved me was I had a 60 gallon reserve tank after a copper pipe wall cooler.
this reserve allowed me to cut…but…again but…although this unit is quiet I needed to run a fan over it when cutting any real length of time…

yes it work…yes it was very quiet…you could easily talk beside it…

I have retired it to the basement shop and bought a real 60 gallon com pressor…

so here is a way to look at a table…the table is a real nice top of the line car…the plasma is the motor…ya gotta have a good motor to get the performance…put a lawnmower motor in a nice car and it does not perform.
Then the wheels is the air system…nice looking car…with a lawnmower motor…and then 14" rims with narrow tires…it will get you around…but you will have problems.
put a nice air system in is like nice rims and nice tires…the lawnmower does not have to work as hard and the ride is better…but the power still sucks…

the air system is a very important infrastructure part of a shop…be carful not to throw good money after good money…

2 Likes

I run a quincy qt54 with hypertherm powermax 45xp in my garage at home.

80db rating

startup is loud and air blow when it stops too but running isn’t too bad. The plasma cutter is as loud our more.

220 1 phase, 30 amp circuit
2 stage 5 hp, 60 gal 175 psi max
Rated 15 cfm @ 90 psi

Eastwood QST 30/60 is what i run. Quiet. Powerful. F****ing awesome.
220v on a 30amp circuit.
12.7cfm@90psi
63DBs
I can easily have a converstion standing next to it. Heck the plasma is louder when
its cutting than the running air compressor and they are sitting 6ft from each other.

@RedFab08 , @Zen
both these units and my newer one are 220v units…a lot of the California units are 110v.
they also have a neat little release valve that prevents the compressor from starting with a compression load…it blows off at the end of the cycle then once the compressor starts it closes and build pressure…real easy motor start.

1 Like