Air Dryer for air compressor

Awesome, thank you for the insight. I will make an after cooler since I have access to DC drivers I can get a fan mounted on a switch so it comes on when the compressor is running.

I also had another thought. I have a old 26gal HFT compressor I’ve been using for years and thinking about removing the motor and plumbing my new compressor into it so I will then have 86 gallons of storage is this a good idea or also not needed? My new compressor is a 60 gal

yes, it can be. one thing to remember anything you do to try your air will restrict your air flow or cfms. I have 2 small 30 gallons tanks after all my air-drying equipment so i can pull from without a lot of restrictions.

also, don’t skip out on a bead cell dryer and a filter as the last stage of drying. this is recommended for the best quality air.

4 Likes

But must you do that Tom? You could be labeled a Bully!
I guess it’s ok as long gas you don’t bully me. :roll_eyes:

Beating up on TW??? I don’t think so! That guy is a Monster!

1 Like

Oh trust me I am well aware of the man!

I did both the radiator and the copper tubing types before the refrigerated dryer (HF brand). I agree with you that maybe no need for both if you are a small timer like me only running a few signs at a time.

I have seen some water out of the drain on my radiator, but as of yet none out of the refrigerated dryer. I have my fan on the rad cooler set to activate at 96F and have yet to have it activate during a cut, even when the garage temp is 85-90F.

Hindsight, being anal about stuff I still might have done both, but I would reduce the length of my tubing by about 50%.

2 Likes

Where I live it is super wet. I actually have 2 radiator type post tank just because I have had them. The hotest t have seen my refrigerated take is was about 90ish that was on a hour long nest. The refrigerated air dryer still catches a insane amount of moisture.

2 Likes

here is my air system set up…

2 Likes

Impressive setup toolboy! I now have new air drying goals.

thanks…I will tell you the humidity in my area is all over the place these days…mostly around 75 to 90% these days…and I heave yet to get and conensation in the beige tanks and my desiccant dryer beads can go 4 hours of actual cut time before I need to change them…and then it is only 1/2 changed.
and most of this stuff is found or cheap off sale sites…

1 Like

@toolboy
do have any comparison of how long consumables lasted before building your awesome air setup and afterward?

Which air dryer i should get. any suggestion.

so I run a Everlast62i and before I completed my setup and was running the 60 gallon compressor and beaded dryer and motorguard filter. this was giving me around 500 pierces and 20 minutes of cut time max before i had to redry my beads…drain my compressor every day…sometimes more…

with this set up I went to 1500 pierces and well over 1.5 hours of cut time.
even then my beads are only partially used…

well worth every effort!

2 Likes

My air is pretty good, ( I had my local paint Rep. come out with a gauge to measure moisture ) but always room for improvement. Has anyone here had any experience with one of these ?..Low Cost Compressed Air Dryers - Air Options

This would be a better page…Air Options - Compressed Air Dryers, Low Cost Compressed Air Dryers, Compressed Air Dryers, Refrigerated Compressed Air Dryer

Members @Kelly1 and @hazmat446 have air drying systems like that, I’m sure they can chime in.

What kind of gauge(s) did he use?

What kind of measurement(s) did he take? Pressure dew point?

What was the results of the test? numerically.

Could you describe the procedure he went through?

This is the industrial standard for compressed air and what is circled is for hypertherm equipment. With the information you gave you would you be able to tell where you hit on this chart?

Column B deals with the moisture content within the air.

Sorry TinWhisperer, I replied to your message right away but some of my messages are not going through and I don’t know why. you may or may not get this…

@skidmarksgarage I see this one

I talked to Langmuir about it and it was supposedly fixed but I just don’t have the time to deal with this at this time, It was nothing fancy he plugged it into my airline at low pressure and let it run for a while and it gave him a read-out, he said it was well within the required zone for auto painting. that’s all I was looking for so I didn’t ask any more…