A little help please

I posted this in the Plasma Cutter section but got zero responses so I’m going to repost the question here.

"
I’m just starting out and I’m trying the get my mind around how all this works so be kind :neutral_face:

From what I understand the nozzle is rated in amps, which relates to the size of the orifice. My Primeweld came with 1.1 nozzles which is for 60 amps? So what does that mean if I cut thinner materiel at say 30 amps with the 1.1? Does that just result in a wider cut and less ability for detail? To me this makes sense that the thicker the metal used the less detail you can achieve.

I did do some straight line cuts at 30amps on some .060 square tubing at 100IPM and it was very clean and smooth, but a wide cut. I figure I will be cutting mostly 14ga for now and I want to optimize for that.
"

To add to the question, what consumables are you buying? I know some are buying the original quality stuff from mechanic416 but his ebay says it will not arrive un the 27th. Anything on Amazon worth buying? Does the cheaper stuff last if everything is working right or is that a waste of money? My torch is the IPT-60.

My main problem is everything is done, I have 2, 4x4 sheets of 14ga sitting here and I want to cut something after all the work I’ve put in.

Any help or advise is greatly appreciated!

1 Like

I don’t have a Primeweld but some of this is just general info. A tip is rated in Amps - the maximum they’re rated for use. If you use more power it will just burn out the tip. Maybe not first cut but sooner than it would wear normally.

Kerf is related to power, tip size & material thickness. You can zero in on what to expect by doing some test cuts. A 0.06" kerf is a good place to start when defining your cut paths. You can then define the kerf that applies for different tips/power/materials.

The benefit of more power is that you can do thinner material at faster speeds. Smaller tips will allow you to do finer detail but for a lot of designs it won’t make a ton of difference.

With what you have you can jump into cutting some projects or running some test cuts to dial in your kerf settings/power/speed.

As for where to get replacements, I don’t have experience with Primeweld aftermarket replacements. I did use Amazon & eBay sourced replacements for my RazorWeld with decent results. I’ve got a Hypertherm now and I’m using HT OEM consumables because they’re long-lasting and known quality.

2 Likes