Troubleshooting: Loss of motion when torch fires

You are correct, I am using it at my own risk - anyone else reading should be aware of that as well, any damage from use of a HF machine will not be covered under warranty!

I didn’t realize that I couldn’t use an HF machine with the Crossfire until after I had attempted to run it a bunch of times and had problems. I looked online and to find a non-HF machine that can cut as thick as my Lotos would cost nearly as much as the Crossfire did. Then after reading that HF machines make cleaner cuts and are used on most industrial CNC’s I figured I’d give it a shot. So far so good, if I have any issues I will update.

1 Like

StephenRinaudo

Hi, I bought the table and then found out about the HF issue. I have a Lotos Ltp5000d. Do you think doing the same thing you did would help me out when the table gets here? Do you have a source to where I can get the shielding cable for the torch?

I assume it will. Just make sure that the torch shielding does not touch any of the connections on the plasma - trigger wire, pilot arc wire, OR the brass connections for the air hose, or it will not fire.

Here’s what I used:

2" Shielding for torch
https://www.ebay.com/itm/20-Ft-TUBULAR-BRAID-Braided-Tinned-Copper-Wire-2-INCH-Wide-Ground-Strap-USA/292089665671?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

5/8" shielding for smaller cables (may not be needed but I did it anyway)

HD ground rod

Rod clamp

What torch is on your machine?

Hi there. I have a Lincoln Electric Tomahawk 375 Air that seems to have to same problem. I understand the tubular braid part but I just want to know more about the rod and the clamp. Where to you attach them and to what? Thanks. Yvan

Im having the same problem I have a hypertherm 65 the plasma cutter is about 16" away from table and the same from laptop it is grounded to slat bed not to the part it will do few with no problem than it will go through a period it will do it about every other time i can unplug thr USB core and it unfreeze and then I have to reset to made another run I have wasted a lot of material I hope to get this problem resolved. Thanks

16” betwen the laptop and the plasma power supply is likely too close. I would consider moving the laptop further away (3’ or more) and seeing if the issue resolves.

1 Like

Did kineticasey’s suggestion fix your problem. I too am using the LTP5000D on the crossfire at my own risk. I havent set it up yet and plan on applying the mods before i run it.

I didn’t risk it. I sold my lotos for $300 and bought a new harbor freight model for $350 on FB market place brand new. It works awesome!

I found that to run my Lotos 60D that I had to replace the stock USB cable with a better shielded one with intergral fairite beads. Keep the laptop about 24"-36" away to keep it clean (ish) and Drier.

1 Like

I am have the same issue I have to unplug the usb cable nd then plug it in 2-3 times then it will cut I am using an HP laptop plugged into the wall I have clamped my Hypertherm 30xp ground clamp to the work instead of the water drain seemed okay after that but will be cutting more tomorrow. I will let you know.

I think that I might be experiencing this will Fire Control. I can run the dry run and the torch moves as it should. When I run the plasma cut live, the torch moves to the first pierce cut, pierces and just stays on. It will not run the rest of the program.